Yadda, Yadda

Dwayner

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the Washington Alpine Club likes to perceive itself as a cooler, less formal, less crowded alternative to the Mountaineers

I too have experienced this in the past. What a shame. The mountaineers have gotten better about things. I just find their mentality does not match anything I climb for. That is enjoyment. Back to the WAC deal- glad you made your points Dwayner. Those groups should not be walking out to the crags and mountains with that sort of attitude.

Glad everyone got their climbing done though. [big Drink]

I saw some chestbeater mounties this weekend too. I was friendly and moved on without incident though. [Wazzup]

Hmmmm, interesting post. I am with the WAC and seems that it was a private handpicked class as nothing was ever posted on the website? How weird as I was at leavenworth as well yesterday and on poison ivy and make mine a bold one. Never saw one other person and had a blast. What a great day and glad everything got worked out.

why can't we all just get along...

Reading my favorite mag Climbing the other day, well it is not my favorite, but it is a mag none the less, and i actually agreed with the editor in his front little write-up. He was just writing about how there are so many people out there climbing and too many of them are turning into assholes. well he did not quite use that language, but it is basically what he said.

Some people just don't seem to understand that part of the fun of climbing is the wonderful climbing community, not about the few assholes ruining it for the rest of us with their pushiness and feeling of crag ownership. That just does not belong.

I could rant and rave about this for awhile, but I'm not. [rockband]

Hey Dwayner, were those dudes French? The French are typically assholes when it comes to climbing. Assholes to us that is, however they have different attitudes when it comes to climbing.

P.S. Do you keep in contact with Mr. Mercer?

[ 09-23-2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

i thought if you were caught without a permit, they executed you right there and then charges your fmaily for the service, the disposal and then a additional special fee permit for recieving a bullet from a discharged firearm...

Well I was going to spice it up a little with some fiction, but my version simply restates the current policy for other areas nearby, and in the same RD, where there is climbing. there's no reason that the canyon couldn't someday be regulated just like much of the nearby Wilderness! [Eek!]

That really blows about the WAC'ers.

Not cool at all. Mountaineers wouldn't even intercept you on the trail.

It sound's like you were a gentleman about the whole thing.

When this type of situation really is upsetting INMHO is in ice climbing. Such a limited resource (close to the road) around here.

And Stefan, you are right about many of the French being assholes about climbing-- but most of the ones that are assholes are pretty good climbers.

If someone clips my anchors, Protection, and climbs past me at 100 miles an hour I'll keep my trap shut. Especially when they are taking 70 foot runouts on 5.11+-5.12 gear pitches.

Well, I happen to know a few members of the Washington Alpine Club that you ran into and the redhead was not pulling your leg, there are only 8 students in that class. (I gotta say......that redhead has one hot body though, huh?)

As for monopolizing climbing walls, I don't see your point. As long as there are climbing classes, these classes will need walls and areas to teach. When you climb as a pair, you almost always have to wait for the previous climbers to finish with the route.

If its easier for you to swallow, why don't you picture the class as 8 seperate climbing pairs that all got up earlier than you did.

Better luck next time.

I've seen the tude from the WAC and MTNRS. It's worse than mine because I don't act like I own the mtns unless I am on lead and there first. Otherwise be courteous out there. I am merely obnoxious in another sense, and if someone is ready to be on a route I am climbing (TR) then I give one go then get out of the way without asking unless it looks like the party is disintered in my route.

That sucks Dwayner. I'm not sure that you have a bitch if the ropes are actually being climbed on. However, if the ropes are on the wall and not being climbed on, then people need to pull it down. It is rude. Share. I don't care if it is a class. If you are not teaching etiquette you are hurting everyone.

Personally I won't climb near those arse 'oles(my opinion). Make me agravated just to hear the things they say/talk about. Say cheese. So for your sake and your students, you'd be wise to get away!

Had an experience with them on Rainier/Cleaver. Their fearless leader refused to let the three parties(including mine) by under the pretense that we were all going to kick rocks down on THEM!Much Thanks to a kind soul in their group who claimed to need a break so we could sneak by. Show a little sincerity people.

Actually Stefan I used to hate the French as well until I went climbing with a couple this past spring a few times. Real nice guys and were polite. And like Jens said, they climb hella-hard, leading up sketched out stuff I would be puckering TRing.

I will say the one guy did have real bad BO [hell no]

quote:

Originally posted by plexus:

Actually Stefan I used to hate the French as well until I went climbing with a couple this past spring a few times. Real nice guys and were polite. And like Jens said, they climb hella-hard, leading up sketched out stuff I would be puckering TRing.

I will say the one guy did have real bad BO
[hell no]

If only they fought in wars as well as they climbed [Eek!]

iluvaliens says: "Had an experience with them on Rainier/Cleaver. Their fearless leader refused to let the three parties(including mine) by under the pretense that we were all going to kick rocks down on THEM!"

In case you missed it, a climber died by falling rock on DC this weekend. They just came down.

BTW, another picked on water ice climbs that work very differently for obvious reasons. If I were to arrive late, I would not get right under another party and start up to them anyway. We will have a good argument before anyone gets ahead of me on an ice climb at which I arrived first. Keep the space, and the line of ascent at least 50 feet to my either side. And it would still be totaly uncool if the other party got around me that way into a tight couloir above in which I would have to follow.

Erden.

[ 09-23-2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: erden ]

Hey Fence Sitter: why don't you masturbate on your own time, dick head...

We are talking about another fellow climber who died on Disappointment Cleaver this weekend. You have no room on this forum as far as I am concerned.

Those who hide behind aliases and are allowed to get away with shit like this need to be moderated with a heavy hand.

Erden.