Political Compass

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poking around this website yielded the following tidbit... Guess who said the following:

I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature.....Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make half the world fools and half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the world. ?

Thomas Jefferson, go figure.

And guess who was the voice of pacifism with the following quotes:

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed; those who are cold and are not clothed.

Japan was already defeated ... dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary. I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was no longer necessary to save American lives.

Dwight D.Eisenhower, go figure. One learns something new every day.

More interesting quotes and factoids here

-3.00, -3.00 or thereabouts.

it was very interesting to see the terrorists (Saddam H, Arafat) in the same quadrant and very close to Pope John Paul II, who represents Jesus Christ on Earth to hundreds of millions of people. Eqaully interesting were the concentrations of famous peace makers in the lower left.

it was also not surprising to see many current major political starts (Berlusconi, Bush, Tony Blair) in the upper right....

in fact just looking at the charts you might be inclined to draw a simple conclusion

Authoritarian Right solves problems by fighting wars, while Libertarian Left solves problems by waging peace?

Poking around this website yielded the following tidbit...

There's interesting quotes from the Dalai Lama and Gandhi as well. For example, who said:

"I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed ?"

Mahatma Gandhi, May 1940

Everybody underestimated Hitler and Mussolini at the beginning, and there are quotes from Churchill, FDR, etc. to that effect. Killing off Jews was never enough to cause concern because everybody hated Jews. Do you need to be reminded that the US did not get involved in WWII until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor? And that FDR did not allow shiploads of Jewish refugees into the US, and sent them back to Europe, to their deaths?

Everybody underestimated Hitler and Mussolini at the beginning, and there are quotes from Churchill, FDR, etc. to that effect. Killing off Jews was never enough to cause concern because everybody hated Jews. Do you need to be reminded that the US did not get involved in WWII until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor? And that FDR did not allow shiploads of Jewish refugees into the US, and sent them back to Europe, to their deaths?

Gandhi is famous for his philosophy of non-violence. Judging by the strong stance against (any) war of other people on this list who fall in the left/lower quadrant of the chart, I am very surprised that Gandhi would consider killing "not too bad" as long as "few" died.

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty surprising quote too. It just goes to show that nobody is completely innocent. Not even Gandhi. Nonetheless, when you add up the total sum of his contributions, I would rather be sitting in the lower left corner with him than elsewhere on the chart.

Speaking of other beloved religious leaders, I don't really understand why the Dalai Lama is in the lower left corner. I would have expected to find him more in the upper left, somewhere near the Pope. Tibet was always a theocracy until it got taken over by China, and it's certainly not socially libertarian. Tibetan Buddhism is extremely romanticised in the western world, but when you see it in practice it's actually just as dogmatic, superstitious and judgemental as any other religious orthodoxy. If you put the Dalai Lama, the Pope, Hitler, and Bush all in the same room, probably the only thing they would all be able to agree on is that homosexuality is wrong and gays will go to whatever version of hell each of their respective religions endorses.