rate these suckers

man_vrs_mountain

I couldn't tell the difference in weight holding a cobra in one hand and a black prophet in the other. I'm sure the weight distribution is better in the cobra though. They also have identical grip size.

Quarks are good for cheating on ice climbs above your ability by hooking the pick line tongue.gif

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M_v_M are you talking about this

cm-quark.jpg

versus this

petzl_quark_axe.jpg

If so then the 2nd image is of the "new" Quark with the pinky rest attached.

Dumb question: does anybody expect to be able to put those shafts in snow (plunging, or for belay or whatever though boot-ax belays are weird anyway)? I know that Petzl say that it's one of the nice features of the Aztar for instance, and it's the ax that backcountrygear.net puts in their alpine ice package. The shaft is straighter too.

I'll try to borrow tools before I have to buy some so I can get some experience with a few, but if I wanted a set of ice tools for alpine climbing, would the Aztar be a better choice than the Quark? Or will the Quark be just as nice (though a bit heavier) and perform better when playing on waterfall ice?

Aztar:

l_640190_s04.jpg

drC - Ice newbie.

Keep it cheap and light in the alpine

only if it's non-technical (i.e., snow/neve, in which anything works). and you can hardly imagine how to fall off anyway.

why would you want anything less than the easiest placing, most secure tool in your quiver on, say, a 400m alpine ice route? you're probably simul-climbing, or maybe soloing. what's that, maybe 2000-3000 placements? isn't it important to make each one of them with the minimum energy output? and to be comfortable and confident of every one of them?

gimme good tools, and screw the concerns with shaft-plunging. as for boot-axe belays, again, not on a "real" climb. T-slotting the tool is better, but even that's pretty sketchy.

cheers,

I think the Quark is better than the Aztar for waterfalls and the Aztar is a better tool for alpine. It depends on what you want to do with it in other words. If you just want one tool to do everything I'd get the one thats better at what you plan to do the most of.