Backcountry touring pack

Sol

So, i've been looking for a pack to use in and out of bounds, and all i've been finding is stupid gizmo ridden bullshit. what I want: the ability to carry either a snowboard or skis, plus a way to carry tools, enough room for skins, water, shovel, probe, and a puffy, and for god sakes it should be under 3 pounds(preferably around 2 lbs). i've checked out da kine's heli pro but there's no way to carry tools, BD dosen't think snowboarders would have anything to do with alpinism so there's no way to carry a board, BCA are just crazy heavy and expensive. anybody out there have any suggestions? thanks. fruit.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you sure are asking for a lot if you want all of that at 2 lbs for free. if you're carrying tools, don't you also need room for some pro and maybe some rope? evils3d.gif seriously, though, if you're done looking at bd and all of "those" kinds of packs, you might check out what osprey has to offer ... but they're not really cheap, so you might not.

i've had the heli pro for about 5 years now. manage to carry tools just fine on it, i put the tools in the shovel loop and put the shovel inside. actually it's what i use for winter climbs. holds either my board or skis just fine and i can fit the essentials in it. unless htey have changed the design it will work great

I ski with the Cold Cold World Valdez pack. Skis are carried in the compression straps. This pack has burly daisy chains down each side of the back of the pack. It would be easy to strap on a snowboard with a couple of quick release straps. It is 2 pounds and fits everything you need for day trips. The bigger CC World Chernobyl weighs 3 pounds, but would carry a heavy snowboard more comfortably and has room for overnight stuff too. Both packs are great climbing packs with everything you need, no bullshit, strongly built and not expensive.

What about the Arc'teryx Borea?

I like my Borea, kind of. The probe pocket, and shovel pocket, and decent size all rock. Lose the foam sitting pad. The way it carrys skis is really weird though. Maybe they have fixed that since I got mine. I don't think it has snowboard straps. I kept it Borea for avalanche control days because we have to have our shovel (all metal objects actually) seperate from the bombs, and I don't like having it on the outside of the pack.

I just use a Serratus Genie for day tours now mostly. I'm sure any simple pack with daisys, and compression straps should answer your needs frosty. thumbs_up.gif

How about something like the MEC Brio 25? 2lbs 1oz, 50 bucks CDN. thumbs_up.gif

I'm sure any simple pack with daisys, and compression straps should answer your needs frosty.

thumbs_up.gif

All those specialized attachments for shovels or wands or whatever are, well, specialized. If the compression straps are long enough (many are not), those and daisy's will cary whatever you want. Just move your cords or extra straps with buckle's to fit what you're carrying on the outside of the pack. (These cords or straps can easily be "fixed" to the pack so they don't fall off when you are using the shovel or whatever it is, making them just about as handy as the specialized attachments.)

I picked up the Osprey Ceres 38 and really dig it. Its over 3lbs but its got a super comfortable suspension system, tool straps, ski/snowboard straps, shovel/crampon pocket, etc. I picked mine up at US outdoor for $129.

Personally, I dont mind carrying a bit of extra weight in order to have a more comfortable carry. I bought this because my BD ice pack (55L) is too big for general day trips.

Good luck