Which of these light packs???

Blake

I know there are a ot of good light packs out there, and this issue has been covered in depth. I've narrowed my choice down to 2, mostly due to monetary concerns, as I could get either of these packs for <$45. Any advice or experiences wth either of these? I want it as light as it can be to be functional for cragging and taking on overnight alpine trips.

2003 Mountainsmith Phantom

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47649642.htm

REI Talus35

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47619435&parent_category_rn=4500574&vcat=REI_SEARCH

thanks a lot.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could say something about those particular models, but sorry, I can only speak to the brands. This fall, I replaced my REI Valhalla with a Mountainsmith Auspex, both about 65 liters. There really is no comparison in terms of comfort between the two. Even with as little as 25 lbs the REI pack was uncomfortable, then the stays ripped out after only 1 1/2 years of use.

If it was my money, I'd go for the Mountainsmith.

I would check one of these out "in the flesh" b4 buying ... it has a great size to wieght ratio but I personaly think the way the floating lid adjusts it looks like it would make a nice rainwater collection system ... the lid doesn't really have much of a "skirt" to it to deflect/divert rain and/or snow fall

MEC has a couple packs that look good and are pretty inexpensive. Brio 40 and 50 liter for around $70 and $85 US. They have comparable weights to your packs mentioned. Stuff on sale usually means that either no one wants it for good reason or there is some major issue (like durablility) with it. You get what you pay for.

I have a Talus 35 that I love. It's a great ski pack, a great day pack, and it's good for light/small overnighters too. It's really comfortable and carries well.

That said, the Serratus packs are worth looking at. thumbs_up.gif

Allison, you have the bigger of the two sizes?

I would check one of these out "in the flesh" b4 buying ... it has a great size to wieght ratio but I personaly think the way the floating lid adjusts it looks like it would make a nice rainwater collection system ... the lid doesn't really have much of a "skirt" to it to deflect/divert rain and/or snow fall

Yeah, I'd really like to do just that, but I can't find anywhere that actually has them in the flesh. I guess with REI I could always just return it and get something else if i didn't like it.

Blake, if you are asking if I have the 35 or the 50, I have the 35, and it's big enough for overnight.

If you are asking which size I have, I can check when I get home. If it comes in 2 sizes only I have the smaller, and I am the max height and torso length for the pack. The one disadvantage to the Talus is there is no adjustability with the suspension so the fit is critical.

MEC has a couple packs that look good and are pretty inexpensive. Brio 40 and 50 liter for around $70 and $85 US. They have comparable weights to your packs mentioned. Stuff on sale usually means that either no one wants it for good reason or there is some major issue (like durablility) with it. You get what you pay for.

i bought the brio 70 before going to the waddington range this spring. i figured it would cost me just as much (or less) than renting a pack from somewhere. it's actually not a bad pack, especially at the price.

I got the Brio 50 on sale before they changed the design slightly, for like C$60 bucks.

I like it pretty good, and it's the first time in 20 years I actually bought a pack that fits.

But I really wish I could overcome my stinginess, and buy really decent-quality stuff for a change. The thing is, this stuff is liable to last forever, whether it's good or bad. I still have a Sierra Designs pack I bought in 1973 and it's usable, even though it started to blow out a few years after I bought it.

REI brand is kinda like buying "Sears Best;" you won't be cool.

I've got a Mt. Smith expedition-size pack ten years ago. It works and I expect to use it again, but actually, I think it's pretty lousy. They may have evolved their designs a lot since then, I don't know, & don't really wanna know, given my prior experience.

--