orthotics and bootfitter

Wardo

I'm looking to get some custom inserts / orthotics made to fix a funky foot pronation problem. Any recommendation where to get orthotics done in or around Seattle or Bellevue?

I'm looking for a place that's clued in to doing this for ski boots. For that matter, any recommendations for a good bootfitter are much appreciated.

thanks,

Wardo

gward fruit.gif_AT-Blarg.net

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sturdevant's in Bellevue. They are used to athletic styles used in ski boots. Great plact for bootfitting.

I guess there are ones that actual MD doctors do too, though I can 't say in what way they might differ from the athletic variety. The doctor style I refer to is like the shaped piece of plastic you slide into your shoes. The athletic styles have some choices, often with cork towards the higher end in price.

I have had several different types, and I can't say enough about cork. THE most comfortable. Less durable though. I get a year or so out of a pair, though if you have two sets and rotate them, they last longer. Also if you have a desk job, I bet they last way longer.

Keep in mind that for a good set, you are going to pay $200-$500 a set. The most expensive ones are the ones where they cast your feet with plaster cast material. Worth the extra money? Well, I think so, but my feet suck so they need a little extra something. Insurance generally doesn't pay for them either.

BTW I go to an orthotist, not a ski shop, and orthotists have no problem fitting to ski boots. You just need to bring your boots in with you, and if you have Thermofits, you might have to get them remolded to fit a set of orthotics.

Good luck.

from my experience, in order of preference:

#1 Jim Mates -- Custom Boot Services <http://www.customboot.8m.com> Will drop the complete boot science and have you in a centered, "balanced," athletic stance in 2-5 minutes. Was impressed when after just having me jump around in my boots for a minute he completely diagnosed what's wrong with my GS carves and steep skiing... $75-150 for complete fitting, custom footbeds were $180. And worth it.

#2 World Cup Ski on 24th in Bel/Red: They'll fit your boots for $45+ and do a good job. Most of my friends who've gotten their boots fit at a ski shop and then gone to World Cup, either to fix the initial fitting or for new boots, have sworn by the guy.

If I could afford to go see him, my buddy Trevor Munger of Munger Orthotics in Achorage, Alaska would rank #1 for custom orthotic footbeds. But I don't visit AK enough...

--Jeff

Edited by Coondog