skate skiing

HeadSpace

when i finish my sojourn in the southeast i'll be mov'n to l-worth and picking up skate skiing for the first time. any suggestions on gear/tips. i've been snowboarding since 89 and my cardio is good. planning on skating up the icicle this winter. any suggestions would be helpful. thanx bigdrink.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get Akers Ski sale catalog. They're in Maine. Their regular catalog is issued every Fall ...their sale catalog comes out soon after. They sell top gear that is one or two years old (new stuff -not used). Buy skate skiis -NOT cross or hybrid skiis advertised to allow you to skate or ski classic. Don't go cheap on boots. Plan to spend over $100 on poles. They need to be STIFF. Fiberglass no good. The more you spend, the more carbonfiber content you get. Get a book or video on waxing and build a waxing tools set w/ brushes and even rillers for structuring your bases. Get a pair of elastic thera bands,attach them to an anchor in front of you about chest high. Grab the ends, back away, then pull toward you and down to the sides of your waist while bending forward at the waist. Keep your elbows and knees bent. Repeat 100x/day.

Skeezix gives great advice. One thing to add: make sure to take lessons. Good technique is critical. Take a lesson your first time out then again after a few days.

The "Unlimited Noridc" DVD comes with a great skating tutorial, as well as a neat video about endurance sports including some really crazy things done on skate skis:

txczoneairforcemodified.jpg

You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DIC7F/104-2545177-6954361?v=glance

...the next big thing....big mountain skate skiing.

I'm not sure if you'd call it "big mountain" but most of the classic ski traverses (Wapta, Sierra High, Yose-Mammoth) have been done on skate gear in damn quick time. The winners of most of the ski tour races (like Echo to Kirkwood) are on skate gear as well.

For skate gear you don't need top of the line gear; sub $100 poles work fine. rolleyes.gif Skate specific boots are a definite thing to have, combi boots thumbs_down.gif

I guess I agree that cheaper poles will work fine. But if you're tall, your poles are going to be lonnnng, and you don't want them to flex too much, which fiberglass tends to do. Skating is very upper body. Those muscles on the other side of your upper arm from your biceps, the ones coming down on the inside below your armpits, are going to be in knots at the end of a day of skating. And if you are a guy, get a pair of those briefs with a nylon patch in front of your little buddy, or that sucker will freeze solid and break off! Ouch. Skating is the best, tho' It's like flying. When you get in favorable conditions in a courderoy track... it's a great dance.

After dropping bucks on the gear absolutely drop some on lessons. Technique, technique, technique. Spend lots of time skating without poles as they tend to mask problems. Be sure your boots fit wonderfully or you'll end up hating the whole experience.

Skating in the Methow Valley is fabulous, especially around Mazama. Great grooming, lots of different terrain to pick from. 160km of groomed trails.

when getting skate gear i advise:

boots, make em fit right the first time, these will decide which bindings you will get.

skis, have someone that knows what you are looking for help you out, fitted to a ski for recreational use or for a low end race ski etc. make sure the ski flexes properly for your body size/weight etc.

poles = $$, the more you spend the more you will like them. most local stores are happy to return broken poles (if you keep a receipt) you will probably break a pole or 2 or 3, particularly if you buy the pricey ones it seems.

wind briefs are your friend, so is a head band (you will sweat like mad, but your ears get cold, and tunes (when skating by yourself, or if you hate your friends)

trails are already groomed here, heading out tomorrow!