Electoral Map

scott_harpell

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So again, with the exception of Chicago, and Salt lake city and that portion of northern alaska (WTF?), the areas with the highest median incomes which happen to correspond closely with with metropolitan areas went Kerry. Anyone have an educational breakdown by county?

Dryad: that Texas swathe is Austin-San Antonio corridor. Dallas is farther north; Houston is to the east.

It's not surprising the democrat counties are the city counties.

But why do you have to be elitest liberal assholes about it? I thought it was liberals that worked for the common man and it was the conservatives who are into big money and riches.

It's not utterly cut and dry but it's pretty indicative of a trend none the less. Your right, Northern Nevada, Chicago, what looks like Austin Texas, and parts of Alaska all went Bush. But that's compared to Metro California, Portland, Seattle, swaths of the east coast, and other populous points around the country. Though there are outliers the other way too.. like the Mississippi Delta, and that portion of Texas. Just looking at the counties though, and the number of overall votes that carry took, it's pretty clear he held most of the metro areas (which look to correspond with higher median incomes), and lost most of the rural ones (with lower median income).

That southern blue area in Texas is nowhere near San Antonio or Austin. San Antonio is pretty conservative, as indicated by the red splotch in Bexar County. My only guess about the blue areas in Texas (other than liberal Austin--Travis County) is that they contain a lot of Hispanics.

The dark blue county at center is Williamson Co. just north of Austin. Travis Co. (Austin's county) is the next one south. The dark-green I-35 corridor then runs SSW toward Bexar Co. (San Antonio's county), which is the circular mid-green county.

The Hispanic reasoning makes sense--most especially for the deep south of Texas. But also, in terms of median income, the corridor counties are near metropolitan areas where more money resides and land values and the cost of living are higher.

Point of Clarification.

Chicago is a true blue island in the middle of a red sea:

81.6% for Kerry with a 77% voter turnout, nearly matching Manhattan and Bronx counties, New York. The map does not appear to have colored a few locations, including Miami.

...for whatever that's worth...

"Thousand points of light"?

Uggg. You had to remind me of the other shrub... didn't you.

Rather ironic though, isn't it?! One could almost say the Kerry voters are enlightened, eh?

-kurt

the other shrub wasn't even in the same category of "bad" as this one. i may not have agreed with him on every point but at least i had the sense that he had a clue.

i may not have agreed with him on every point but at least i had the sense that he had a clue.

Yes, Sr. Shrub did have more foreign policy sense than Jr - at least on how to spin it properly. Like you, can't say I agreed with it, but he was more diplomatic.

On the other hand, I trusted Sr. less than I trust Jr. Sr is smart like a fox AND connected. He was too smart to let people really know what his staff's intentions were. I can not believe anything went on in that admin without Sr knowing it. Jr on the other hand... well... I've always thought as a person he was OK - he's just got some bad "friends". At least that's how I'm spinning it in my head to keep my sanity. smirk.gif

-kurt

i may not have agreed with him on every point but at least i had the sense that he had a clue.

Yes, Sr. Shrub did have more foreign policy sense than Jr - at least on how to spin it properly. Like you, can't say I agreed with it, but he was more diplomatic.

On the other hand, I trusted Sr. less than I trust Jr. Sr is smart like a fox AND connected. He was too smart to let people really know what his staff's intentions were. I can not believe anything went on in that admin without Sr knowing it. Jr on the other hand... well... I've always thought as a person he was OK - he's just got some bad "friends". At least that's how I'm spinning it in my head to keep my sanity. smirk.gif

-kurt

this is actually what bothers me more. Jr. might be a nice guy but he doesn't have a clue what's going on around him sometimes (at least that's how it seems) I prefer to think that while I might not like what Sr. was doing that he knew what is staff was doing. i think our president should be smart like a fox.