Long double/half ropes ?

flatland

I'm in the market for some knew half ropes. I read about some guys using a bi color 120m half rope up in Alaska. On wandering pitches or rock pitches they used it doubled as 60 m doubles and then on straight ice pitches they would use it as a single 120m rope. This gave them the freedom to link pitches. This would also eliminate some snags when pulling the rappel rope.

Has anyone had personal experience with a long 100-120 meter half rope? I found some 100 meter bicolor ropes, but not any 120 meter. I figure that it costs less than two separate doubles and I could just cut it with a hot knife into two ropes if it didn't work out. Let me know if you have used one. Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use a 100 meter 9mm for ice climbing. It was pain. I even foolishly climbed long pitchs qith double 100meter 9's. This lead to huge rope weight pulling on you at the end of the pitch, long run outs or lots of pro to carry. I went to twin 60m 8.8m and have never looked back. but YMMV.

I had some fiends using long lines, all of them stopped because it was a bitch to haul up when the rope was all paid out. I guess you could always cut a 120 to make two 60's if you didn't like the long rope set up, but then you are left with two double that are the same color. From what I remember I think Sterling is going to be making an 8 something bicolor for the application you are talking about, that might be the way to go, if youwant to try it out, that way if you don't like the setup you can just go to two different color 60's.

• 2 weeks later...