You Predict - Next 4 years

Blake

Ok, so what do you seriously think will be some of the major pieces of legislation that the republican-controlled federal government will try and get through during the next 4 years? Where specifically will the agenda be? Don't just make some jackass comment either, the election is over and there isn't a thing we can do about it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really see the SCOTUS appointments and decisions having a much greater reach and impact than specific legislation. These appointments (JP Stevens is 84 yrs old and one of the liberal justices, he almost certainly will not make it through another term) will likely lead to the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Chief Justice Rehnquist is about to be replaced. Our next Chief Justice is going to be Scalia or Thomas...think about that for a minute.

Three new Supreme Court Justices and more gerrymandering of House districts to consolidate conservative power. I think that Bush's next four years will follow the same political recipe: weak or underfunded legislative efforts that appeal somewhat to all Americans (No Child Left Behind), secrecy and press manipulation, and widespread administrative efforts to advance conservative goals without needing to pass laws (esp. environmental and telecom regulations). Larger GOP control of the House could give Bush the ability to move forward his conservative agenda more transparently, though.

Appoint 2 judges to SC, right to abortion is threatened.

Salmon are delisted in favor of hatchery fish.

Marbled murrelet and spotted owl are delisted.

Increased mining and timber harvest in Roadless areas.

Revisons to Clean Air and Clean Water Acts.

Recent tax cuts are made permanant.

In 4 yrs we are still bogged down in Iraq or it is under Muslim cleric rule.

Budget deficit soars.

Economy limps along.

Military budget soars, all other discrenionary funding tanks.

Osama is still on the loose.

US bombs Iran.

Al Queda attacks US again.

I've been trying all day not to be pessimistic and come up with any kind of neutral step forward for the country, but I can't. Can anyone? I just want some little gem of forward progress to make my day go better. Scott Harpell, please help me. I just want one thing that the country, regardless of political or ideological leanings, can rally behind. I'll try my best to agree.

No, If McCain knows what is good for him, he will just stay in his existing office so he doesn't have to be construed as "one of them". That makes for a more powerful candidate if folks get tired of the Bush program by that time (and the odds are high that will be the case with no progress on the National Debt and other major issues).

Powell will resign, Ridge will resign (both have hinted at it for different reasons...Powell's views are at odds with Cheney and he's marginalized, Ridge wants to make more money).

Rumsfeld is likely to hang it up too.

Condi Rice will either take another cabinet post (Sec Defense?) or move on. I can only hope that Scowcroft will be Rumsfeld's sucessor. Please don't let it be Wolfowitz...I don't even want to think about that.

No idea who will be on the short list for Sec State. Anybody have a credible list?

I don't see us invading Iran (bombing maybe). GWB doesn't really have as much a hard-on about terrorists or WMD as he had for Saddam.

Tort "reform"; i.e., making it basically impossible for a person of average means get any sort of justice versus an entity with big pockets.

Further media consolidation as well as new anti-defamation laws which will make it risky to criticize those with big pockets on the internet.

I've been trying all day not to be pessimistic and come up with any kind of neutral step forward for the country, but I can't. Can anyone? I just want some little gem of forward progress to make my day go better. Scott Harpell, please help me. I just want one thing that the country, regardless of political or ideological leanings, can rally behind. I'll try my best to agree.

Well I am sure that GWB will repeal the liquor tax so that his Wild Turkey binges don't pinch the pocket book quote so much. confused.gif

The Endangered Species Act will be gutted

Spotted owls, marbled murrelets, bald eagles and salmon will all be delisted post-haste

Major revisions or erosion of most major environmental laws

Drilling in ANWR

Sale of public lands

No more purchases of any new public land

New Supreme Court Chief Justice will NOT come from the Court, hopefully it won't be Ashcroft

With the Senate and House in the blue columm, there will be some major legislative initiatives to set things up for the next 30 years.

If you didn't like the last Bush Administration, don't worry they were only the Opening Act for the next shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif

Edited by Ducknut