Hey off white

Lionel_Hutz

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off's sig line is disrespectful to say the least. But it's a free country. Rehnquist is 500 times the man Off (or I) will ever be, and I'm sure he'd be all for allowing Off's commentary.

For those who don't get it, Off is referring to how nice it would have been if Rehnquist had retired (or died) while Clinton was in office so a liberal-leaning replacement could be chosen.

Left or Right I think it's ridiculous that our Supreme Court justices are chosen by people with such ideological extremes. It's irresponsible (though very self/platform-serving) to appoint judges with ideals and constantly shifting the ideological balance to create our precendents. Judges are supposed to be as impartial as possible. Does anybody disagree? This is what worries me most about Bush's reelection because its effects will resonate for years after he's out of office.

Off's sig line is disrespectful to say the least. But it's a free country. Rehnquist is 500 times the man Off (or I) will ever be, and I'm sure he'd be all for allowing Off's commentary.

For those who don't get it, Off is referring to how nice it would have been if Rehnquist had retired (or died) while Clinton was in office so a liberal-leaning replacement could be chosen.

Sure, it sucks that the shrub and the gop senate will get to place at least one supreme. it really sucks. Sure, ow has the right to post whateverthefuck he wants... I'm just saying he should have some fucking class.

Rehnquist's illness is very serious, and it is likely that he won't live much longer. I don't care what your political beliefs are... you should have some compassion for the man and his family.

Camilo: what you say is true (or would be nice) but that's not the way it works or could work. Someone has got to appoint them. And their lifetime of decisions often determines what kind of justice they may be (left, right, moderate). They are human beings like the rest of us. Upholding or interpreting The Law is not always a cut and dry thng. And yet, an ordinary judge's decisions are often less esoteric than a supreme court justice's who must interpret the law on matters more philosophical than precedential (or that they often set the precedent).

Are you advocating that Supreme Court justices be elected by the people like state supreme court justices and other judges? How should they be chosen?

It goes beyond what Klenke intepreted as my meaning. If Rehnquist died four years and one month ago (note: I'm giving him 11 more months, substantially more than his doctors will) we'd never have had Bush as president (the supreme court decision to halt the Florida recount, which in fact would have proven that Gore won that state) and without arrogant partisan dismissal of prior intelligence, the attacks on September 11th may never have happened. Sure, it's part and parcel with "alternate history" fiction, but I firmly assert that this world would be a better place if William Rehnquist died just over four years ago. Weighing the virutes of whether Rehnquist should have four more years of playing with his grandchildren versus the 150,000 dead (9/11, US Troops, Iraqi Civilians, Iraqi Combatants, Worthless Foreign Terrorist Assholes) should be a no brainer. He's doomed anyway, and shortening his leash a little is the least injury to the world as a whole. Is it tasteless to wish for death for your enemy?

Oh, and Klenke? Rehnquist isn't half the man you are. From his early actions defending segregation as law clerk to supreme court justice Robert Jackson to his work opposing registration of african-american voters in Arizona to his work in founding the Federalist Society in 1982, which produced not just Clarence Thomas but a generation of antiregulatory lawyers brought in by Bush to the Environmental Protection Agency and other agencies, William Rehnquist is an odious political creature. You have a substantially more stalwart and admirable character.

Off, I guess I just have more respect for a man who serves his country for many years regardless of his "viewpoints." In this regard, he is more than I've amounted to in my piddly life. How his viewpoints weigh against mine is not what I was talking about.

I don't shit on people so easily, like so many others on this site. Respect (your friends and your enemies...terrorists bastards not withstanding) and you will be respected yourself.

One evening Mike went over to his friend Terry's house to play cards

with some friends. Mike sat directly across from Terry's wife. Mike

dropped a card on the floor and bent down to pick it up. When he looked

across the table he saw Terry's wife had her legs open and no panties

on. He sat up and was flushed. He went into the kitchen to get a drink

of water. To his surprise Terry's wife had followed him into the

kitchen

and said, "Did you like what you saw?" Mike said "Yes I did." She said,

"Well you can get more than that but it will cost you $500." So Mike

thought about this financial situation and said O.K. She said, "Come

here tomorrow at 2:30

because Terry will be at work then. Mike said, "I'll see you then."

The next day, Mike came over, they had sex, he paid her, then he left.

Later, Terry came home and asked, "Has Mike been over here today?" She

said,thinking she had been caught, "As a matter of fact, he did." Terry

said, "Good because that fool came by my job this morning and asked to

borrow $500 till this evening, and he said he would leave it with you."

the_finger.gif

BUSH WON! bigdrink.gif

Sure, it sucks that the shrub and the gop senate will get to place at least one supreme. it really sucks. Sure, ow has the right to post whateverthefuck he wants... I'm just saying he should have some fucking class.

Rehnquist's illness is very serious, and it is likely that he won't live much longer. I don't care what your political beliefs are... you should have some compassion for the man and his family.

I find it hard to have respect or compassion for those who wish to deprive me and my fellow Americans of life, liberty and freedom. This country had two opposing "view points" from the very beginning. Jefferson believed in individual freedom whereas Hamilton had more traditional or "continental" values of order, centralized control and collective safety, at the expense of the individual. I identify much more strongly with Jefferson's ideals. Rehnquist is a Hamiltonian.