• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
robpatterson5

Socks

Hey, I'm new to ice climbing and winter camping and was wondering what you guys are useing on your feet this winter? Anyone useing the Smartwool Mounteeners, or Climb High boiled wool socks? What about VBL's? I'll be useing these with a pair of leathers. Anything else I should look out for?

Cheers: Rob

I use Smartwool Mountaineers and insulated boots. Sometimes I use a liner, but that is pretty rare.

I usually using Smartwool hiking socks. My feet run warm. I don't use liners, ever, too many problems with them shifting and causing blisters.

smartwool makes awesome socks. you don't really need liners if you've got the right socks. wool is best as it won't harness stench over time. watch out for socks with annoying seams that may be an issue and cause hot spots. also, stay away from socks that are so thick your boots are really tight as this inhibits circulation (which makes your feet colder).

Smartwool mountaineer suck the big hairy HCL.gif. Mine got wet, stank like nothing I've smelled before, wouldn't dry with body heat overnight, have a sloppy fit, and SUCK. I switched to thorlo (?) synthetics and am very very happy. No stench, dry fast, comfy, and at the end of the day they have not wadded up so half the sock is in the toe of my boot.

Suckwools might work OK for day trips, but for winter overnighters I wouldn't use em.

Smartwool mountaineer suck the big hairy HCL.gif. Mine got wet, stank like nothing I've smelled before, wouldn't dry with body heat overnight, have a sloppy fit, and SUCK. I switched to thorlo (?) synthetics and am very very happy. No stench, dry fast, comfy, and at the end of the day they have not wadded up so half the sock is in the toe of my boot.

The Thorlo's I've had do dry quick, but fall apart quick.

The only problems I have with socks are when my feet sweat alot - then the socks stink, strech when wet, slip on my feet, and cause blisters.

Bridgedale Summit Sock or the AT Boot Plus.

Best socks on the market by far. And with a 3 year guarantee this puts them over the top.

I use Patagucci cappiline socks, they come in different thickness for different temp days. I can't stand wool, even if it is smart.