Socks

robpatterson5

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

smartwool makes awesome socks. you don't really need liners if you've got the right socks. wool is best as it won't harness stench over time. watch out for socks with annoying seams that may be an issue and cause hot spots. also, stay away from socks that are so thick your boots are really tight as this inhibits circulation (which makes your feet colder).

Smartwool mountaineer suck the big hairy HCL.gif. Mine got wet, stank like nothing I've smelled before, wouldn't dry with body heat overnight, have a sloppy fit, and SUCK. I switched to thorlo (?) synthetics and am very very happy. No stench, dry fast, comfy, and at the end of the day they have not wadded up so half the sock is in the toe of my boot.

Suckwools might work OK for day trips, but for winter overnighters I wouldn't use em.

Smartwool mountaineer suck the big hairy HCL.gif. Mine got wet, stank like nothing I've smelled before, wouldn't dry with body heat overnight, have a sloppy fit, and SUCK. I switched to thorlo (?) synthetics and am very very happy. No stench, dry fast, comfy, and at the end of the day they have not wadded up so half the sock is in the toe of my boot.

The Thorlo's I've had do dry quick, but fall apart quick.

The only problems I have with socks are when my feet sweat alot - then the socks stink, strech when wet, slip on my feet, and cause blisters.