Glen Canyon Revealed

catbirdseat

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool in a way, I think Ed would have mixed feelings but overall would be happy. I wonder if the music temple will be accessable again?

If anyone is interested, the book ON THE LOOSE by Jerry and Renny Russel is a great period book(1960's) about two youth growing up in the Southwest. Alot of the emphasis is directed to the loss of Glen Canyon. I REALLY love this book. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Abbey.jpg

At this time, the turbine intakes are 100 feet below the lake surface. If the lake drops another 80 feet, power generation will not just diminish, it will STOP.

Speaking of dams and the West, one of the best books I've read on this subject is A River Lost by Blaine Harden, about the Columbia/Snake system.

Let's just say that this is the canary in the coal mine.

The west is running out of water....

Fast.

Are you ready?

I was out in Lake Mead the other day, pretty amazing to think that Los Angeles, Pheonix, San Diego, Las Vegas and parts of Mexico relies on a source of water...that is drying up at a rate of 20 feet a year.

Click on this NASA link for the plain truth, be sure to hold your mouse over the photo of the lake.

Earth Observer lake mead photos

Re: Chirp

"Very cool in a way, I think Ed would have mixed feelings but overall would be happy. I wonder if the music temple will be accessable again?

If anyone is interested, the book ON THE LOOSE by Jerry and Renny Russel is a great period book(1960's) about two youth growing up in the Southwest. Alot of the emphasis is directed to the loss of Glen Canyon. I REALLY love this book."

Thanks for the rcomendation. I found a 1st edition in F/NF condition on Abebooks.com

I'm reading this right now

71339.jpg

Only about 40p into it, but pretty "dry" rolleyes.gif so far.

It's supposed to be "the definitive history of water resources in the American West, and a very illuminating lesson in the political economy of limited resources anywhere."

Just got off of an 18-day trip through the Grand Canyon on 11/1 and I was amazed at the beach erosion that had taken place in the 8 years since I'd been there. All that sediment is piling up at Lake Mead and now the old take-out, Pierce Ferry, is full of sediment and one now has to go 30 more miles to the next take out. The place is getting messed up from that damn dam. Rapids like Crystal will be unrunnable soon unless there is a big flush to clean some of that shit out like pre-dam days. And we're talking 70,000+ cfs not the 40k cfs joke of an experiment they did in the late 90's.

I'm reading this right now

Only about 40p into it, but pretty "dry" rolleyes.gif so far.

It's supposed to be "the definitive history of water resources in the American West, and a very illuminating lesson in the political economy of limited resources anywhere."

Stay with it. When you reach the narrative on the collapse of the Teton Dam the pace picks up quite a bit.