Efficient trad. racking?

yakimuchacho

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rack all wires on keylock biners(no snags), all cams on wires gates(easier to clip) and don't over load your self with gear. i prefer racking gear on my harness, and some draws on a sling. ask your self what your after; freeclimbing? then climb damn it! leave the suitcase of gear to the vertical baggage handler's known as aid climbers. cantfocus.gif

putting all your pro on a sling caters to lickety split gear switches and less confusion about which piece is where when you're grippin'; for this reason all my pieces get their own biner -i clip them onto each other for that trendy streamlined look (because that IS what IT'S all about)...i use a loose biner at the 'front' of my rack and clip it to one of my harness loops -this helps to keep shit from swinging around too much when i'm thrutching up those hardman 5.7's. keeping your pro on a sling also makes for quick readjustments before heading into a something like a chimney. on longer routes it builds up shoulder muscles and character -kinda like carrying 2x4's all day for $8.00 an hour. i'm a big fan of single length slings with single biners on them too -wasting a biner at each piece of pro is joke for a lazy guy like me.

Fashionistas this year are saying that wearing the sling on the left shoulder this year is in. Yes, it may be tougher for all you right handed tradsters out there but then again what is safety in the eyes of prana tops? Gear on the harness is so 80's shaw-dude. Put that pink lycra away and don your carharts (the green is in this season) and head to the crags for some fun!

The most efficient racking is where you have used most of the gear that was on the rack in the first place. In other bring what you need and no excess. That way your partner rack any damn way they please on the way up and you can do the same when you are seconding.

To keep the gear sling from swinging, you can tie some cord on each side of the sling and run this under the opposite arm. You can use sliding knots for fast adjusting. You can also rack gear on this cord if you want. You don't even have to put it under the other arm if your partner prefers not to, it doesn't really get in the way if your not using it.