pershings conditions?

Blakej

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same neighborhood I took my son's cub scout den up Ellinor Saturday. We took the Summer route and turned back at the top of the boulder field. I went up a little higher myself to the base of the bare slope just beneath the summit. The protected areas had 2' or so of fluff and the exposed meadow had a pretty hard layer of crust covering the snow. While it was sunny, the wind was howling and I decided it wasn't any place for kids. I saw only a single boot track going higher than I did.

As for Pershing, I would expect more of the same. Postholing & brush with deep snow starting around 4,800' or 4,900'.

We went for it via a approach from the Hamma hamma but had to turn around short of the summit due to time. Nasty ass bushwack through 2000 vert of devils club. Sucked really bad. The snow started about 2600ft and was 1-2 ft above 4000 and went from soft and fluffy to very hard. Crampons would have been nice for the upper 1000ft.

It was interesting to say the least. That was the worst unavoidable stand of devils club I can imagine but once in the two upper basins it was fun working our way over the odd consistancys of snow. As for the jo jos I had to pass them up for the luxurious heated seats in chris's (partner)new VW. By the way Chris has pretty must sworn off the oly's now stating that he swears I told him there was a trail to the treeline.

If you took up the route up I did from the Hamma Hamma there is a great basin (first basin in the description) to set up camp in. It didn't seem to have any danger of major slides and in winter would make for a beautiful base camp. It seems like most people I talk to do it in spring and early summer. I think spring would be the most enjoyable and make the bushwack better. Bremerton John has done it several times so maybe pm him.