Getting A Car

JERRY_SANCHEZ

Just wondering if it would be worth getting an old car or newer car as I plan to use it only to drive to trailheads in the mountains and some long trips…

For example:

Subaru GL 1988 station wagon with about 233,000.00 miles with 130,000.00 on new engine for $1,500.00 obo

Or should I get a newer car and take a loan from the bank and deal with car payments for 4 years?

I rather use the money for outdoor pursuits then use it on car payments but then again I would hate to get stuck at a trailhead.

Thoughts on those of you with past experience....

Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheap cars aren't cheap, but suck $$$ constantly

expensive new cars are also not cheap

the best cheap solution is a moderately used car, less than 10 years old with less than 200,000 klicks on it. you can get a couple years out of it before it starts sucking $$$ and then you sell it to a desperate sucker.

Do you know much about cars? I can do just about anything to mine and so I bought an 82' and it is still running perfect. If you don't know a lot about cars, I would at the very least take the prospective car to an auto shop and they will charge $50 to run the car through and will tell you what is likely to go tits up first and how long it looks like (estimate) that it will last. hope that helps.

-Scott

If you break it into monthly payments for the duration of ownership, and factor in resale value and maintenance costs, you will pay twice as much per month to drive a basic new car as opposed to a decent used car. If you can work on it yourself, as Scott suggests you will do better than that.

If you could work on it yourself you wouldn't need advice, am I right?

I don't know anything about cars so I would have to go to a repair shop but I know some trusty shop owners.

It might be better to get a car that is 5 to 6 years old with about 80K miles and pay car payments for 2 years.

But I hate car payments...

What do you think is the best mountain cars or trucks? Seems like every climber has the Subaru wagon... (gas mileage is a consideration)

Yeh, get a fucking car and stop leaning on your friends for trailhead transportation for a change! tongue.gif

You make decent coin and split room/board costs w/ your girlfried...what the hell do you do with all your money? Have a cocaine habit? Go out & buy a goddam not-so-used car & let me sleep on the drive back home for once.

Buy a westfalia!!! Oh shit, did my avatar give me away....

Anywhere from mid 70's (easier to work on) up to 90 (more expensive). This covers either the bus or the van. Store butt loads of gear in the things and sleeps 4 no prob. Interior lighting; comfy seating; stove; fridge; like living at the Hilton (not Parris). This is my second and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Makes a rockband.gif TH/camping vehicle.

Downsides - a bit of a target for theives (they know you have crap in there); so-so gas milage (20mpg); it's way helpful if you are a little mechanically inclined to save $$$; they are heavy and SLOW... but where the hell are you in a hurry too?!?!?!?

Good luck with WHATEVER you buy since even newer cars can be lemons. Just take whatever it is to the mechanic you plan on using and ask them to give it the once over BEFORE laying down your hard earned green backs.

If your using it for getting to the trail why would you buy a car and why would you buy a 2wd pick up? Subarus are fine but why drive an inferior automobile wrt to a 4wd truck in the woods? get an old Toyota on big tires and go anywhere.

Edit: if you got the cake get a new one, people always forget cars are not an investment they are a luxury you will lose money, who cares.

Edited by jmace

Jerry, do not listen to Serge. The guy buys a new car just about every six months! Anybody with that much cashola should do ALL the driving. tongue.gif

Oh, and DO NOT buy a Mazda. At the row of car mechanics businesses in Redmond where I take one of my cars for repair there is a Mazda mechanic place next door. The friggin' parking lot is always filled with broken down Mazdas. It's like a Mazda junkyard that lot. Albeit, they are rotory engine Mazdas, but still. My mechanic just does this hellno3d.gif and this rolleyes.gif when we talk about the Mazda repair place next door.

Subarus are great. Pretty bulletproof, and cheap to boot. Downside, low ground clearance.

Another good one is a Toyota pickup or 4-runner that is less than 10 years old. Really bulletproof. Have three friends with Toyota pickups that put a cap on the back, and a platform to sleep on , and then they store gear in the space under the platform.

I have a Cherokee. Bulletproof. Not so great for sleeping though. The I-6 engine is the same they've been using for decades, and lasts a really long time.

On a side note, I'm looking for $500 beater car for my 16 year old son so I don't have to provide daily taxi service. Pref. an old volvo as I'm sure he'll wreck it anyway. Wish I still had my '65 Barracuda.

For 500 bucks it will break down and you will be back to providing taxi service. Let him ride the bus.