Hobbits!

Squid

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a much longer story in the New York Times. One of the interesting things it mentioned was that the modern peoples of Flores have legends of "little people" who lived in caves up until the arrival of the Dutch in the 16th Century. Scientists would give their right arm to get a sample of intact DNA from a Homo erectus, or to actually study a living creature. Could you imagine what that could have done for paleontology and anthropology?

I wonder how hard they could climb? High muscle to wait ratio like little kids and those little fingers for jamming thin seams?? tongue.giftongue.gif
Jesus H. Christ! "Wait ratio"? WTF, are you trying to compete with Muffy or Dave_Schuldt? There is only one Muffy. To me "wait ratio" is the ratio between climbing time and belaying time.

I'm reading more about the Flores man find in the Nature articles that Dru linked to, and what I don't understand is why everybody is so surprised. Neoteny is a very common means of evolution. There are modern small humans in existence (ie. pygmies in Africa). Regarding brain size, a modern child is the same size and has the capability to pick up a rock and beat things with it. So it's not like this has no explanation or logical precedent. I'm not suggesting this isn't a significant find - of course it is. I just don't understand why some biologists are clinging to the linear theory of human evolution when there has been so much evidence to the contrary. This is just one more branch of a complex and interesting tree.

There was a quote in one of the articles that said, "The species' diminutive stature indicates that humans are subject to the same evolutionary forces that made other mammals shrink to dwarf size when in genetic isolation and under ecological pressure, such as on an island with limited resources." Well duh! Why would humans NOT be subject to the same evolutionary forces as other animals? I understand religious fundies clinging to the idea of the specialness of Homo sapiens, but scientists should know better.

That's exactly the kind of linearist crap I'm talking about. To call one species more advanced or more evolved than another is a meaningless value judgement. A species is as evolved as it needs to be to survive in its environment, whatever that happens to be. There is no such thing as evolving toward some ultimate goal, some epitome of fully evolved awesomeness. Evolution has no direction.

People are so hyped because Homo Erectus, in the Flores version and H sap coexisted for hundreds of thousands of years. This totally overturns the rapid replacement hypothesis and the Out of Africa dogma. It's not any different than finding a live Sasquatch - this is one of the most interesting and paradigm-shifting discoveries in anthropology in the last 100 years.

Also finding out that these "hobbits" had a chimp-sized brain but made tools and fire expands the boundaries of our knowledge of what is possible.

That's exactly the kind of linearist crap I'm talking about. To call one species more advanced or more evolved than another is a meaningless value judgement. A species is as evolved as it needs to be to survive in its environment, whatever that happens to be. There is no such thing as evolving toward some ultimate goal, some epitome of fully evolved awesomeness. Evolution has no direction.
This is what Humanity is ultimately evolving towards...

image7.jpg

Dru: Exactly! thumbs_up.gif

This is important and exciting because it adds to the diversity of the human family tree. But it shouldn't be all that surprising because there was already a lot of diversity, and already precedence for different humans coexisting for pretty long periods of time, such as Cro-Magnons and Neanderthals.

Edited by dryad

The evidence for Neandertals and Cro-Mags coexisting for a long period of time is rather contentious though, right? The DNA studies imply one thing, there are some hybrid fossils that imply another, and no one can agree so everyone stakes out a position based on a personal opinion

Well, everything about human evolution is pretty contentious, starting with whether it happens at all! smirk.gif

But the general trend is for greater diversity, more species, more subspecies, etc. And the more variants there are, the more likely it is that some of them had to coexist. So I'm willing to believe that Neandertals and Cro-Mags coexisted for some time.

For example, this family tree shows overlap between H. erectus, H. sapiens, and H. neanderthalensis.

This one is somewhat different.

The book is definitely not anywhere near being closed on this.

Interesting, now if only those remains had been captured in amber and fossilized. Then we could extract the DNA from the hobbit blood and create an island full of hobbits and charge outrageous prices for people to see them. However, due to the use of homeless human blood to fill in the gene sequence gaps the hobbits would be prone to disease, drug addiction and homosexuality causing a horrific disaster when a group of scientists came to observe them. After a significant amount of deaths and plenty of staggering law suits the park would be closed down and the hobbits would be free to go about their destructive ways. After another 12,000 years, scientists would again discover the remains of small human-like creatures and the whole cycle would begin again... makes you think eh? Uhhhhhh...........