Help! East coast skiing

Jake

So I have been afflicted with moving to the east coast - Washington DC actually. Between hearing all my friends in the PNW tell me about the snow and watching ski movies, I'm gonna shoot myself any minute for moving out here to the land of ski resorts with 400' of vert. Sooo, where are the best ski areas on the East coast? Places that have snow, not ice and are tall enough to actually get a few turns in before you get to the bottom. Any good places worth visiting?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been afflicted with moving to the east coast - Washington DC actually. Between hearing all my friends in the PNW tell me about the snow and watching ski movies, I'm gonna shoot myself any minute for moving out here to the land of ski resorts with 400' of vert. Sooo, where are the best ski areas on the East coast? Places that have snow, not ice and are tall enough to actually get a few turns in before you get to the bottom. Any good places worth visiting?

yelrotflmao.gif And I bet you want a season longer than a month too! yelrotflmao.gif

Snowshoe Ski Resort in West Virginia is probably your best bet for close proximity. Or you can venture up to Vermont, that's where supposedly the better ski areas are.

I too am in the same boat. I could be back in the PNW but nooooooooo, will have to make due with the resorts they have in NC

Man made snow at it's finest! 6" of loose sugary snow on top of moguly slush and ice. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifthe_finger.gif

Snowshoe Ski Resort in West Virginia is probably your best bet for close proximity.

Snowshoe's a fortune for what it is. And it's 4-5 hrs from DC. Closer are Canaan Valley, Tiimberline & Whitegrass Touring Center(excellent food) all around Davis, WV. If your heading for a bigger mountain check out Whiteface in the Adirondaks (Lake Placid, NY). Real vertical skiiing and lots of ice climbing nearby.

...I'm certainly looking into making a trip up to New England if it is gonna be worth it.

If you're gonna make the long drive north, head to the Mt. Washington valley in New Hampshire. Cranmore, Attitash & Wildcat are all close to each other, and Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Maine aren't too far away either. In the spring you can also make the pilgramage to Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington itself.

If you're an ice climber, there's lots of that do in the same area as well, which makes for a nice dual purpose road trip.

Well friend, prepare to be disappointed. After skiing in CO, UT WA, and MT, I visited back East and all I could think was, "How the hell do these resorts stay open?" well, people are desperate. Whiteface and Mad River Glen and Attitash are all worth a drive. Otherwise, short nasty icy runs....

i used to ski at stowe in college. lots of groomers and bumps, if you are into that. there are some secret stashes in the woods were good powder can be found on the right day, but i was sworn to secrecy so i cannot tell you the exact location. also there is a fun run where you hike to the top of mt mansfield and ski down toward the notch.

buy some new skis and start carving up the groomers, your technique will never be better.

$59 for a holiday weekend pass at Sunday River!? Damn. May have to trade in the planks for some ice tools as you suggest.

The only thing that sucks more than being a DC skiier is being a DC ice climber. Reliable Ice is the same location as decent skiing; New England. Your 10-12hrs from New England. Take up kayaking.

Kill yourself.

The dudes I know on the Least Coast seem to like Jay Peak and Stowe the best, but all agree that they are far inferior to most of the resorts out West.

The paddling is actually pretty good in the DC area from what I hear. Take it up. Lots of kayaking gear for cheap on Craig's list. Also - the mouintain biking is supposed to be pretty decent out there as well.

The paddling is actually pretty good in the DC area from what I hear. Take it up.

30 minutes from Downtown(and that's with traffic). Big after work paddle scene. Many Olympic class paddlers. kp_dsc_0444rs.jpg

Re. skiing. The advantage of DC is it's a capitol city. Airflights are plentiful (and cheap!) to wherever you want to be, whenever you want to be there. Anywhere in the country, or the world. Don't bother driving 10-12 hrs, through shitty traffic (unless your skipping work) for crappy skiing in New England when in the same amount of time, for about the same $, you could be in Salt Lake, Whistler, or Chamonix. Europe's cheap from DC, the flight times are good. Take advantage.

Don't kill youself, try not to think of sking or snow, forget about freshies, sparkely snow, spindrift or chair lifts, your in DC dude. call your buds out here or in the alps and get a plane ticket, but if you have a old style fridge you could build a little ski area with the frost and ski with tooth pick men

Hey Jake I went from the greatest SLC to Maine blue water ice to PNW. The first year I went ice skiing in Maine I was done with skiing. The lift tickets were outrageous, the snow sucked ass, and it was colder than hell. I gave my ski away and stuck to snowshoing and XC skiing. Eventually I got into ice climbing, that rocks in New England. I would suggest selling the ski gear and buy ice climbing gear.

With that said there are place to go that are decent all backcountry. Mt Washington has some great stuff, there is the ever famous Tucks, on to the East the Gulf of Slides has a lot good lines in it, on the other side of the mountain there is Oakes Gulf, Double Barrell. That is your best bet for good backcountry and I know guy that hit that shit early, make sure you have your rock skis though. One favorite of mine that was an easy on was Baldface Mountain lot of moderate potential there. Then over in Franconia Notch there were several mountains in there that were fun Lafayette and Cannon. These are all in the North Conway area in New Hampshire.

In Maine there was Mount Katahdin for some real killer backcountry, but the trouble with that mountain was that you had to plan way in advance and the weather and avalanche forecasts hardly ever that good.

New York over in the Adirondacks supposedly has some good backcountry, but like the rest of New England, the weather is somewhat unpredictable.

I always wanted to make it up to Labrador and Cape Breton and check out the highlands for potential backcountry, but never made. There is some great ice climbing that is going in up in Labrador. Though you really need a fair amount of time to get up there.

Hope this help good luck.

From DC, I wouldn't even bother heading north to the New England resorts. Just take a trip out west for a week and visit a friend for cheap lodging. IF you head to NE, Sugarloaf (ME), Cannon (NH), Mad River& Stowe (VT) and Whiteface (NY) are the best. Sunday River has made a lot of improvements. Too many NY Yankee fans at Killington! There are some secret smaller resorts too. Personally, I would do the "dual" trip to North Conway for ice climbing and skiing as mentioned before. But you could also get a dual trip in near Burlington or Lake Placid as well.

The only good thing about skiing on the east coast is you will become a better technical skiier and build a tolerance for cold weather.

I wouldn't bother skiing within 3-4 hours of DC. Take up white water kayaking, sea kayaking or sailing instead.