Worst piece of climbing equipment.

ken4ord

Everybody is talks about what to buy, how about what to steer clear of. What type of climbing equipment had you wished you never bought or think has to be the dumbest and most useless piece of shit you have ever seen. Also why do you think your least favorite item is a POS.

Here is my vote for POS award

These things I had bought because I thought they were such a great deal. Man at $12 a screw how could you go wrong. Well I didn't know that these had detachable hangers (seriously I had two of them where the hanger came right off) or that it would take about 20 minutes to place a single screw cause the teeth weren't sharp at all and there were no threads on them to speak of.

Ok I fixed the link, doh!

Edited by ken4ord

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Black Diamond Switchblade crampons - featuring: dual front points with a thin profile to maximize shearing, and a spacing that provided neither the stability of regular dual points nor the delicacy of monos, an anti-shearing plate between the two front points that prevented effective penetration magnificently, and secondary points so far behind the front-points that they would only engage when one's heel dropped roughly 60 degrees below horizontal, at which time the front points were conveniently sliding out of their placements.

Not sure what the deal is with BD and the secondary ponits on their waterfall crampons, but they seem to be designed with a different philosophy than the models produced by other manufacturers. They are great if you want to work on your calf-and-forearm endurance though. thumbs_up.gif

Hey JayB have you ever tried the Foot Fang monos. Damn those things really sucked ass. The front point was really long not necessarily a bad thing, but it always got hung up on things, the back points were so far back and too close together (closer together than the Switchblades) that it felt like you could never get stable.

Check 'em

Hey skyclimb why the .4 Camelot? I have never used them, nor do I need one, but I can't see anything wrong with them.

cj001f, where did you find those relics damn, they look like they look like they were made in the dark ages. Are you sure that is climbing equipment? What is the red thingy, is it some type of rigging device, I have never seen that one before?

Mike, I have checked out those FROG things out, but they seem sort of stupid. Have you used one?

I bootyed one of these from a climb in New Hampshire. The party before us had broken a pick and rapped off on one of these screws. I offered to get the screw and pitch it down and the former owner just didn't care. After my experience with the p.o.s. I see why.

.4 BD's stem is inflexible, due to the trigger- placements must be shallow, they walk like little bastards, and if you have ever fallen on one in Volcanic Ash, you will abolish it to the lower caste of your rack and decide that the yellow alien is one of your most trusted companions.

Of course, there are people out there who take repeated 50 footers on .2 BD cams in sandstone.

.4 BD is my most unused piece of climbing equipment. It still gets use, but I use alien power whenever possible. bigdrink.gif

Now the .5 BD is a completely different story, the junior kicks ass.

For rockclimbing, it's tough to beat this combination. A vintage Stubai holder, without all that pesky padding, drills a tidy 1/4" hole for this 1-1/4" long rawl bolt, lovingly pressed into an old thin steel SMC hanger. I recommend a 10oz ball peen hammer for drilling, so it doesn't hurt so much when you hit your hand. You can rest assured that the 1/4" bolt, from the batch of bad bolts that came out around 1980, might sheer unexpectedly before the breakage prone hanger could fail.

407343-drill.jpg

407343-drill.jpg.80a9f8a6de4b37f9dec48518b5550cdf.jpg

Edited by Off_White