resort skiing in alaska

thelawgoddess

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

alyeska in girdwood. in the spring (due to light) but i think they closed in late april (if i remember correctly). steeps and bowls are easily accessed via hiking just 10 minutes past alyeska in turnagain arm.

eaglecrest in juneau, i prefer the february/march skiing due to light and generally more consistent snow. plenty of bc terrain can be accessed via the lift. more variable terrain down there i.e. trees/cliffs, but bigger in the areas surrounding anchorage

also have valdez and cordova and haines, all bc(small lift in cordova), although i would recommend waiting till spring for all of them.

if your coming up and want to head out back country drop me a pm, we are either climbing or skiing or both every weekend, from this past saturday till late spring!

there are also a few other small ski areas in the state, mostly around anchorage area. i used to ski eaglecrest 50-60 days a year, but now live in anchorage and didn't go to a ski area at all last year. why bother when i have skins?

that is a good price to either juneau or anchorage. if your coming to anchorage just let me know, happy to let you couch surf it you want. Hatcher's Pass north of anchorage got dumped on this weekend check out the 40" snow level

there was definitely a lot of avy activity (wumping everywhere and a few slides), turnagain arm hasn't got a decent snowpack yet, that area is more coastal snow, while hatchers is the early season place to be. when are you thinking about coming up?

sweet - couch surfing and some backcountry adventure! that's making it sound like a trip i should do. feb looks cheapest for airfare. haven't checked on car rental but i can't imagine those rates change much unless maybe there's a holiday involved. what's the deal with light up there? you be around in feb? okay if i bring s.o.?

"what's the deal with light up there?"

we don't have much in the winter

"you be around in feb?"

yup

"okay if i bring s.o.?"

absolutely, the more the merrier. have a huge house with roomies who have raced sled-dogs, and climbed everest, etc.

bigdrink.gif is mandatory, it is alaska after all

no worries ... bigdrink.gif seems to go with skiing in general and i'm happy to supply more than my share. thumbs_up.gif (just don't try to slip me any jack daniels! wazzup.gif)

"what's the deal with light up there?"

we don't have much in the winter

well, we don't have much here either ... compared to the summer anyway, but how little are you talking? (i've never been to ak!)

Winter minimum:

Anchorage, 5 hours, 28 minutes (that's in december)

February isn't so bad, with around 10 hours of light.

Here is a page with a little chart showing daylight hours

press me

makes it tough to get in many turns post-work, but fine for the weekends. but skate skiing can be had every night on our 100+ miles of groomed and lighted trails!