iPod accessorization

Dr_Flash_Amazing

So, you're hip, you own an iPod, and you rock that bad boy all over the place. What accessories do you have for it that kick much bootah? Any total crap accessories that you really shouldn't have bought? Cases, connections, cords, car kits, etc. Recommendations, rants, raves, further reading suggestions, etc. all appreciated.

The DFAPod is ready to step out in style; help it succeed!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the itrip thing is tough to calibrate. If you do a lot of trips in your car it is probably better to wire it into your stereo if you have RCA jacks. This is a pain in the ass to set up but you are money once it's done. One of my friends rigged the ipod home stereo dock in his car and it worked well till it got jacked. Now he has a radio shack rig that just plugs into the headphone jack, converts to RCA then connects to his stereo.... probably costs 12 dollars and a lot of your own labor. It is not as good quality sound as the stereo kit, but better than itrip. Plus it is sweet plugging your ipod into some shitty wires coming out of your glove compartment that have a bunch of electrical tape holding them together.

I just got one of those rubber skin cases to protect it from scratches. It sticks to your clothing way too much so its hard to put it into your pocket.

You wanna buy a rubber skin case?

Those fm transmitter things suck in general. Best to wire your own if you want to use it with your car stereo.

If you are looking for a sweet set of cans (talking headphones here) check out http://www.headphone.com/

I have the Beyerdynamic DT250's for my iPod, and they work pretty well un-amped. The next step is to get the Total BitHead amp.

They have a cool case for the iPod and the BitHead amp too.

The best part is you feel like you are not splurging when you buy a $300 amp and $250 headphones, cause they have headphone amps for $11,900!

0020089090front.JPG

I still have not justified the purchase of a headphone amp. Hard to pay that much for such pure luxury, but it is supposed to be an incredible improvement with my headphones.

If you have not noticed, the stock iPod earbuds are crap.

check out www.ipodlounge.com/

they've got reviews and such...

i have an FM transmitter for mine, and it pretty much blows. i have the mini, which comes with a clip attachment. when i store the ipod, i turn the clip around so it protects the face, seems to work well. if you want to listen to your ipod in the car a lot, i would recommend hard wiring it to your stereo, there is a step by step tutorial at the ipodlounge. its for a dodge neon, but with a little imagination you can tailor it to any car stereo...

check out www.ipodlounge.com/

they've got reviews and such...

Is iPod Lounge typically the slowest-loading page on the interweb, or is this an anomaly? Spent minutes waiting for the page to load (speedy connection) and bailed in frustration.

Apple announced two new iPods today and the lounge is swamped. Everything should speed back up once folks on the East coast start leaving work. smile.gif

I'm so far from hip it isn't funny, but my guess is that you'll want the dock, the Belkin car charger, some kind of case and (as mentioned) better earphones.

for headphones, go with the Grado Labs SR60:

http://www.turntablelab.com/index1-eq.html

these are hands down the best headphones for the price. they were designed with portable players in mind and don't need an amp. don't bother with FM transmitters. for those with a decent receiver in their vehicle, you can use an use an RCA auxilary input adapter on the cd-changer port. i did this and the sound is great. if you have some money to waste, i heard that alpine has a deck which you can used to control the ipod......

http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_kca-420i.htm

iTunes + AirTunes + home stereo = domestic musical bliss

Though I can definately tell a difference in sound quality, my Griffin iTrip works great and because I typically drive in rural areas, there's lots of room on my FM dial.

If my Kenwood deck had a RCA input jack, I wouldn't bother with the iTrip. I've heard that Alpine is doing this and would expect the other manufacturers to soon follow suit.

I also have the PowerPod and it's solid on the road charger.

Still looking for a good/economical carrying case and maybe a cup holder cradle, though...

for headphones, go with the Grado Labs SR60:

these are hands down the best headphones for the price.

Thanks for pointing them out mwills: I'd never heard of them, but that's obviously cause I must be living in a cave. The SR125s are on sale for $109, so I ordered them, if they're half as good as all the reviews say, it sounds fantastic.

"It's audio quality is only average."

So's your use of punctuation, but we'll leave that alone for now.

Top-notch audio is acheived at home via spinning discs; maximumportablerockandroll is what the 'Pod is for.

And for the record, the li'l white 'n' chrome sounds pretty good, in DFA's humble opinion; certainly better than the minidisc player it replaced, and better than the portable CD-spinner that preceded that. (Stereophile Magazine seemed to think so, too.)

Back to the accessories info. 3 essentials for ipod bliss...

1) Rubber Case of some sort. Yes it's hard to get into your pocket but i no longer worry about scratching my $400 pack of cards. Best Buy had a decent clear-ish one. Bonus - the rubber keeps the pod from sliding every which way on smooth surfaces.

2) Belkin makes a car power adapter that give you a line level out (unlike the headphone port) This allows infinite playing in your car.

3) Add to the Belkin a TAPE adapter and you're mobile in the car (If you have a stereo with an aux in source use this instead of the tape) You could also go with the Monster Cable power/radio adapter that adds FM capabilities but it's pricey and doesn't have a line level out - Upside - you can grab it and viola! Tunes in anyones road trip mobile.

4) Screen protector - keep those scratches at bay. best out there (use it on my treo) Boxwave ipod Stuff Yes it's $13 but it's WAY better than any cheapo one you get at staples

nuff nerdy for now...