Lowe Fader biner info needed

Kevin_Matlock

Anybody have any firsthand experience with the Lowe Fader carabiners? I have a few asym D's and they look like 3/4th "normal" size biners.

I have a few of them (got a deal on 'em) but they remind me of a novelty carabiner like you might find on a keychain. They are much denser alumimum than the novelty crap so they seem more legitimate. They are just small and light I'm almost afraid to rack them up!

Aside from the name, the only thing stamped into them is "KG <-> 1700" along the spine oposite the gate. Simply converting the KGs to LBs works out to about 3750. But most other climbing gear is not simply rated for weight, but rather impact energy (K.newtons).

Does anybody know if these safe for climbing? There is almost no info on the web on them. confused.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. Don't see mine on there though.

They are smaller (I'm guessing) just to minimize weight. I can only imagine what they would be like if they were wire gates!!!

And they DO have super smooth gates, that's for sure.

If they really are rate for 19kN then I should be ok. They just have such little hinge pins and seem so dainty. I guess I'll just use them as backup to my backup. smirk.gif

I got 6 of them off of ebay for something like $10... so even if I just use them to hang crap off my pack then it was still an OK deal.

The probs with those small Faders are

1) weaker than a regular biner. Check again on that 1700 kg, the ones I saw were rated to 1200 blush.gif did someone file off the bottom of the 2 to make it into a 7.

Anyways, 1700 Kg = 17 kN not 19.

The other problem is thin radius. Take a big fall thru one of those biners and prepare for serious rope damage.

Check again on that 1700 kg, the ones I saw were rated to 1200 blush.gif did someone file off the bottom of the 2 to make it into a 7.

The other problem is thin radius. Take a big fall thru one of those biners and prepare for serious rope damage.

No, sir... the biners are practically new so it is a nice, crisp, clean "7". You give me an idea though, I should just add a "1" to the front of it making it "11700" thus increasing their strenth substantially! cantfocus.gif

Oh, good point on the thin radius; hadn't thunk that.

Yeah, these bad boys are going to have to be used only in special occasions (i.e. desparation, ran out of other biners, etc).

• 17 years later...