WTB: Towers for roof rack system

goslow

I just got a rocket box at the REI g-sale, and now I need to figure out how to mount it to my car! Somebody gave me two Yakima crossbars, so I guess I just need some Yakima towers that fit on the raingutters on my car? Maybe Thule towers would work too? I don't know, I'm new to the yuppie rocket box thing. Oh, if it makes a difference, I drive an '87 chrystler lebaron w/ gutters.

If you have anything (towers, advice, etc) let me know. I'd be interested in anything that works (not too concerned w/ aesthetics...the car takes care of that.) Cheers!! smile.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Ebay if you don't find any here. Make sure you know which kind your car takes. Thule towers won't work with Yakima bars, and anyway, Thule stuff is way more 'spensive.

A good shop, that sometimes has used gear, is Ski Rack on 80th and Aurora. I think that's the name of it, and the folks who work there are great. thumbs_up.gif

Be sure to get locks for the towers so your investment doesn't get stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

You can save money by buying quick-n-easy gutter clamps and making your own cross bars in wood or iron pipe; both work. QNE do not lock on your car however.

You can buy used Thule and Yakima parts at the Sportsrack on hwy 99 near Green Lake. Probably best bet as you will be dialed in when you leave.

I have Thule gutter towers I can sell too. Yakima is round Bar, Thule rectangular. the bars are the cheap part! Be sure the bars your friend gave you are long enuff or not too long. Pm if interested.