Wind River Range and Gannett Peak

Atlanta_Climber

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine climbed it a few years back. From what I understand R.W. is right. I is just a ** L O N G ** slog. Something on the order of a 20mi walk just to get to the route. Nothing more than your avg ice axe and crampons route after that (if you go the yak route).

It looks pretty cool from the photos I have seen.

Cheers [big Drink]

Shawn

A friend of mine had a packer pack in all the heavy stuff for a week. They hiked in but you could arrange to ride in also. Then the packer came back at the end of the week and picked up their stuff. Certainly not the stuff of which hard men are made but for a family with 7, 12 and 14 yr old it worked out well. They climbed Haystack and Temple too.

I was going to climb Gannett this year from Elkhart trailhead in mid-June but there was too much snow still. That is, no one had yet made it to Titcomb Basin (usual camp area). No one had even got close. Titcomb basin is 15 miles in, more or less. So I went on a little snowshoe outing to a place called Photographer's Point, which is only 5 miles from the trailhead.

I guess I would make sure as to conditions if it's early in the season for your intended trip. Surely, July should not pose a problem.

There's an outdoor store in Pinedale, WY called "Great Outdoor Shop" that could provide useful information. They did for me when the Ranger Station was closed (I was there on a weekend). Their email is greatos@wyoming.com. Their phone is (307) 367-2440.

[ 09-17-2002, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: klenke ]

You don't need a guide for the standard route or most other routes on Gannett. The hike in is a standard trail hike about 20-25 miles and the climb is straightforward. It is a good late July, early August climb. Saw some great wildlife and caught some big trout. Had one crevasse fall on the decent, but no big deal. Overall great time and awesome scenery. [rockband]

No guide needed - just a topo, crampons an ice axe. The walk in is shorter from the west than the east and the titcomb valley is pretty spectacular. 1 long or 2 days in to titcomb - the climb can be done from titcomb in a long day, or you can spend a night on top of the pass ("backpacker pass" or "bonney pass") or in dinwoody cirque.

From the east it's 2-4 days walk in.

There are a number of outfitters who will pack your gear in and out to either titcomb or the wilson meadows area.

Pretty mountain, beautiful area, nice climb.

Gannet is a cool mountain with its major challenge being its remoteness. I have done it from the east (Trail Lake TR - 50 miles round trip) and from the west (Elkhart Park TR - 40+ miles roundtrip). I suggest doing a traverse from west to east. If not, I suggest doing it from the west.

It is 15 miles from the TR to the trail junction (w/Indian basin trail) at the beginning of Titcomb Basin. Near Island Lake.

Roughly four more miles up through Titcomb Basin and then over Bonney/Dinwoody Pass). Some camp in the basin. However, I think this makes for too long of a summit day.

At the pass there are camp sites with rock rings. However, water can be a problem here. I recommend that you carry over, cross Dinwoody Glacier. There are GREAT campsites below Gooseneck Pinnacle that will put you in great position to do the route. (This is assuming you'll be doing the Gooseneck Route?)

Dos: Go light, approach from the west, camp as high and close as possible.

Don'ts: Go heavy, approach from the east, camp in titcomb basin as you "high" camp, take advice from those at the "outdoor store" in Pinedale.

You really don't need a guide if you are competant in mountain travel. The only real danger or obstacle is the bergshrund. It can be turned on the L or the R and often has a bomber bridge on it.

Go in August, late August is best. The first week in Sept can be great (less crowds). Snow stays in the range until at LEAST mid summer.

If you still want a guide try Jackson Hole Mountain Guides and Exum guides. Both have web pages.

You can PM me if you want. I have been in there quite a few times and done the traverse too, which I highly recommend...and it is not any more difficlut than doing the standard trip.

Good luck. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:

Roughly four more miles up through Titcomb Basin and then over Bonney/Dinwoody Pass). Some camp in the basin. However, I think this makes for too long of a summit day.

At the pass there are camp sites with rock rings. However, water can be a problem here. I recommend that you carry over, cross Dinwoody Glacier. There are GREAT campsites below Gooseneck Pinnacle that will put you in great position to do the route. (This is assuming you'll be doing the Gooseneck Route?)

Dos: Go light, approach from the west, camp as high and close as possible.

Don'ts: Go heavy, approach from the east, camp in titcomb basin as you "high" camp, take advice from those at the "outdoor store" in Pinedale.

Excellent advice from Rodchester. This is a LONG climb so you should be fit. There are good sites in the Bonney Pass area, but crossing the Dunwoody will give you a nice advantage on summit day and you won't have the bugs to deal with. It's not a bad idea to build a few extra days into your itinerary for weather, etc. We waited out 2 days of summer rain/snow and were well rewarded.

quote:

Originally posted by Goat Boy:

There are good sites in the Bonney Pass area, but crossing the Dunwoody will give you a nice advantage on summit day and you won't have the bugs to deal with.

Bugs are highly dependent on the time of year. In late August through Sepetember are the best days of the year to climb, IMHO. No bugs, stable weather, and (after Labor day) few people.

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:

I was going to climb Gannett this year from Elkhart trailhead in mid-June but there was too much snow still.

I wouldn't be so sure - I was there mid-July (not this year - a couple back), and the snow about as bad as could be - about knee/mid thigh when you sank through on just about every step (and it didn't get cold enough to freeze at night) Another 2 weeks and it should have been fine though.

Others advice is excellent - no need for a guide, and pack light, or just combine it into a week backpack/fishing trip - makes for a very pleasant excursion. It's just a snowslog.

For an unexpected cultural experience, stop by the Old Yellowstone Garage in Dubois (is it still run by the short gay guy and his butch wife?)

Carl