hood n face/elliot headwall

ivan

wanna get up dis again disyer fall, thinking sometime in the next week or 2, whenever it get clear after some partly cloudy days and continuing cold. i'm definetly planning on skipping work if that's when the window comes up. can't do this saturday 'cuz i owe it the world to get insensible then. seems like it's snowing so much the cloud cap road will close 'fore too long. who's game?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there today, the weather was awesome and not another sole on the mtn. I took a few pics that might help you guys plan.(they are in gallery cause I don't know how to add them in) I think that the conditions were pretty sweet today and the mtn let loose with a huge serac/avy, but I wasn't able to get my camera out quick enough to show the size.

wow, a lot more snow up there than last year this time. how was the road up?

1963start_northface_10-24-2004.JPG

the ice at the gully start looks pretty well covered!

1963northface2_10-24-2004.JPG

i assume the avy/serac fall you saw was in the middle of the elliot?

1963northface1_10-24-04.JPG

nice pix, man! thanx. actually the last 2 days of this week are looking okay now.

The whole route looked really good and I didn't see or hear much of anything coming down either of the gullies all day. The conditions varied between bullet proof and super soft sugar, to breakable wind crust, but all in all the going was pretty easy.

As to the road, well those conditions varied as well. As soon as I turned off of the highway the pavement was pretty icy and once I turned up towards Cooper Spur there was snow, by the gate I was in 4x4 and within another 2.5 miles there was about 2" on the ground, after a few more miles there was almost 6" and some of the drifts were scraping the bottom of my truck, so if you've got a 4x4 be prepared if we get another dumping this week.

The ice fall was indeed in te middle of the Elliot.

btw: thanks for adding in the pics.

Tonight: Rain likely early. Then a chance of rain after midnight. Snow level 6500 feet. Pass winds southwest 5 to 10 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain early. Then rain likely in the afternoon. Snow level 5500 feet. Pass winds southwest 10 to 15 mph.

Friday night: Rain. May be heavy at times. Windy. Snow level 7000 feet lowering to 5000 feet after midnight. Pass winds southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Saturday: Showers. Snow level 3500 feet. Pass winds west 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday night: Snow showers. Cooler. Snow level 2500 feet.

Anybody still planning on heading up? Forecast isn't looking too great, but maybe you gents are seeing something that I'm not? sly.gif

Tonight: Rain likely early. Then a chance of rain after midnight. Snow level 6500 feet. Pass winds southwest 5 to 10 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain early. Then rain likely in the afternoon. Snow level 5500 feet. Pass winds southwest 10 to 15 mph.

Friday night: Rain. May be heavy at times. Windy. Snow level 7000 feet lowering to 5000 feet after midnight. Pass winds southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Saturday: Showers. Snow level 3500 feet. Pass winds west 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday night: Snow showers. Cooler. Snow level 2500 feet.

Anybody still planning on heading up? Forecast isn't looking too great, but maybe you gents are seeing something that I'm not? sly.gif

Looks like my PDX climbing options for this weekend will be limited to trying to get myself off the bathroom floor on Sunday morning.

bigdrink.gif

Or maybe I'll check out the new and improved PRG. cool.gif Maybe I'll spot DFA!?!? smile.gif