5 must skis in the PNW

swaterfall

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me "must skis" are trips that anybody who backcountry skis in the Northwest just has to do. So I pick:

1. Camp Muir - Yeah I know, boring, plain vanilla. But do you know any Northwest backcountry skier who hasn't done it a million times? Oregon skiers, substitute the south side of Mt Hood.

2. Mt St Helens - What other Northwest mountain, besides Rainier, have people all over the world heard of? The view from the crater rim of St Helens is unique. Not to be missed.

3. Mt Baker, Coleman Glacier - Baker was the first "major" peak to be skied in the Northwest and I think it is still the classic big ski ascent.

4. Sahale Peak - A great North Cascades viewpoint, good skiing, and the only North Cascades peak where you can ski from the summit rocks to your car in June.

5. Spearhead traverse - I had a hard time choosing my fifth ski. The Spearhead traverse is the classic Euro-style, entry level ski traverse in the Northwest. A great intro to the southern B.C. coast mountains.

When I think of must skis, I'm thinking of something I would do over and over and over and enjoy it every time. Of course I was more inclined towards the steep rather than more moderate routes or traverses. If those were the case, from my personal experiences I would pick these:

1. The Nooksack Traverse (access, diversity, summits and views and anything else you would or could hope for)

2. Goat Rocks Traverse (the lack of crowds, plenty of great summits close together, and great spring snow)

3. Old Snowy, Goat Rocks (Same reasons as above)

4. Mount Challenger (the glacier, the scenic hike, and views of the picketts can't be beat)

5. Lake Ann and Han Buttes, Mount Shuksan (for the great snow that seems to be harbored there from any ill weather, views of shuksan and baker, and quick escape from the ski area for a day or two)

If the Location field wasn't enough, you can tell where everyone lives by reading their recommendations. Philfort must live in the Seattle area as everything he suggested is in WA, Iain must live in PDX as the descents he suggested are in Oregon/Southern WA, and me, I'm a California transplant as I suggested 3 descents in Cali.

The only clear consensus of this thread seems to be Adams (NFNWR and/or SW Chutes).

Thought I'd chime in. I do my PNW skiing in June and July with an occasional trip in the winter, so Volcanos are what I've been sking the most for the past few years. I do have my favorites around Juneau and Cordova, but thats not the PNW.

NFNWR, Adams

SW Chutes, Adams

Snowdome to Round Mt trail, Mt Hood

Colchuck Glacier, pass to the lake

Anything on the N. Side of Mt Cashmere (Winter)