Jet Boil stove

Terminal_Gravity

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love mine - But I've had to converted to eating out of plastic bags. It boils water super fast until the canister starts getting low. I kept thinking I was out of fuel - but it lasted another 2 days - just boiled slower. I like this enough I wish I had three - one for the pack, one for the back of the car, and one for the kitchen counter.

I asked this in another thread and got no response so:

One question: Would it be possible to use another fuel canister with these? It looks like sizing is made specifically so the windscreen thing rests on the canister for stability. Would using a larger canister, or another brand of canister cause problems with fit of the windscreen etc?

One question: Would it be possible to use another fuel canister with these? It looks like sizing is made specifically so the windscreen thing rests on the canister for stability. Would using a larger canister, or another brand of canister cause problems with fit of the windscreen etc?

The Jetboil canisters I've seen in the store appeared to have exactly (or extraordinarily similar) the same dimensions as say an MSR stove. I don't own a JetBoil so can't speak from experience.

The big canisters work fine.

The Jetboil is okay, but a Pocket Rocket or a Giga does it better for less of everything.

I did a review with some lab testing in the WTA mag a couple of months back.

So you are saying that a pocket rocket with a pot melts snow faster and weights less?

Can you post your test results? What temps and elevations did you do your tests at?

I did lab testing, so it probably wouldn't interest you. I tested the Jetboil, Giga, Simmerlite, and Brasslite, if there's interest I'll dig up the results and post them, but really since it's lab testing, it's nothing you can't see on the REI Product Information Guide. Our field testing was all more seat-of-the-pants functionality, and regrettably we didn't do anything with snow melt tests. I had to do almost all of the stove testing myself, and can't always do it all of the testing I'd like to do.

Backpackinglight did some semi-scientific field testing on stoves, I bet if you look at their site you can find it. They do a really nice job with their gear testing, far better than I, with my erratic and sometimes nonexistent pool of field testers can do.

Would it be possible to use another fuel canister with these? It looks like sizing is made specifically so the windscreen thing rests on the canister for stability. Would using a larger canister, or another brand of canister cause problems with fit of the windscreen etc?

Will, I checked these out today at REI. Any of the standard canisters (MSR, Snowpeak, Primus) will screw onto the Jetboil stove, but only the smaller Snowpeak canisters will nest inside the cookpot. Those smaller canisters aren't widely available, so that's one concern.

I think this jetboil system is probably the lightest*, most efficient, smallest-packing stove system around and could easily be converted into a hanging system with the addition of some strings/clips.

Though I haven't used it in the field, I give it thumbs_up.gif for in-store testing.

*Actually, I guess those Nesbit solid fuel stoves or a pepsi-can-type alcohol stove is probably lighter weight and smaller, but their functionality in the alpine environment is questionable.

I have had one for about 5 months and I really like the convenience for most situations. However, it failed me on Mt. Shasta, couldn't get the piezo lighter to fire it up. I've used that stove now about ten times and that was the only time it didn't work. The altitude of course ( 10K )despite the fact I kept the canister as warm as I could.

Fortunately, my partner had an MSR and that worked fine. I had taken the Jet Boil along just to see how it would perform at altitude. Other than that, super easy to use.

I asked this in another thread and got no response so:

and I did reply look at the last posts down in that topic http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/403698/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

However, it failed me on Mt. Shasta, couldn't get the piezo lighter to fire it up. I've used that stove now about ten times and that was the only time it didn't work.

I got mine really wet a couple of weeks ago and the piezo would not work. I lit the stove with a lighter, and once the heat dried the stove out, the piezo worked fine again.