How do I get into (water) ice climbing?

nalo

I've been sport climbing for a few years now, have gotten some trad rock experience... how do I break through the h20 barrier? I guess I could just go buy $1000 in gear, but I think I'd probably end up killing myself that way. What's the right way to make the transition?

thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definately agree, do some tr'ing until you understand how to swing effectively and efficently. Than either start doing really easy leads and build up or go out with people who can climb. I starting doing really easy three's a couple years ago and I'm finally starting to climb decently. It is definately quicker to go with people who know their stuff but that requires some networking.

The problem is, Dru, that the sheer volume of hot girls available to me makes it impossible to choose which one to give the privelage to. That being said, where's the best ice by Seattle? Also, in an unrelated question, why is portlant called PDX? Hey Nate, I guess you're back from S. America, how'd your sucky, out-of-shape partner treat you?

The nearest ice to Seattle is in your freezer. Bwahh, ha, ha. But seriously, there is a guide book to Washington State ice climbs. Nelson's guide has a few ice climbs in his books as well. The closest semi-reliable ice is in Lilooet, BC. About 6 hours away. The closest reliable ice is in the Canadian Rockies, about 13 hours away.

SEA for seattle makes sense, LAX for Las Angeles International makes sense, PDX for portland does not make sense! Who do I write the angry letter to?

Yeah, SEA makes sense... but LAX makes sense, too???? confused.gif

I think it's just as retarded as PDX.

Wonder if the X has some sort of connotation of "exchange"? Maybe "xfer" (aka transfer)? No... I'm sure it stands for "xylophone". Yeah, that's it!

From Snoboy's link, regarding the X:

When the Wright brothers first took to the air in 1903, there was no need for coding airports since an airport was literally any convenient field with a strong wind. However, the National Weather Service did tabulate data from cities around the country using a two-letter identification system. Early airlines simply copied this system, but as airline service exploded in the 1930's, towns without weather station codes needed identification. A bureaucrat had a brainstorm, and the three-letter system was born, giving a seemingly endless 17,576 different combinations. To ease the transition, existing airports placed an X after the weather station code. The Los Angeles tag became LAX.