Serratus RIP

Dru

MEC Elections are on. The deadline is April 8!!!!!!

Here is a list of the candidate emails: there is more info on the MEC website. This is just a crappy cut & paste.

If the comments above about the direction of MEC resonate with you - maybe you should vote!

Email or contact the candidates - ask them their position on these issues - then vote (you can vote online) for the ones that you think will guide the Co-Op in the appropriate direction.

Marc Elrick, Calgary, AB

Email: marc@criticalpathgroup.com

Statement: Web

James Doleman, Calgary, AB

Email: none given

Statement: Web, PDF

Linda Bartlett, Torbay, NL

Email: lbartlett@mec.ca

Chic Thomas, Winnipeg, MB

Email: cthomas@hydro.mb.ca

Bill Gibson, West Vancouver, BC

Email: billgibson4mec@shaw.ca.

Marianne Lods, Lanark, ON

Email: marianne.lods@sympatico.ca

Ken Bell, Cambridge, ON

Email: Kbell1942@rogers.com

Griffith Slaughter, Pembroke, ON

Email: none given

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

update: my airing on this thread of my concerns about the possible future direction of MEC prompted several off-line calls from key people in MEC. the essence of the message in the resulting conversations over the past couple weeks was:

a) the merchandise department (the folk responsible for products) remain committed to serving hard-core climbers, backcountry skiers, and so on. in fact, goods are being designed with specific end-uses like ice climbing, mountaineering, etc in mind especially to combat the “generalization” of products. and,

b) there has been considerable movement at the board level to allow this to happen.

in essence, what I am told is that, after long involved discussions, the board has:

1. continued to refine the governance model for MEC by formalizing its role in setting broad policy on product direction, while leaving all specifics to management as operational decisions, and

2. acknowledged that margin is not the only tool for managing prices, and that the goal for MEC is not the “lowest” price (Walmart and Canadian Tire own that part of the market), but competitive, market-based pricing (“lowest reasonable price”, as the Mission Statement so appropriately reads), plus

3. approved changes to the costing structure which will more correctly “capture” development, sourcing, and procurement costs in the products for which those costs are generated.

these steps allay some of my concerns for MEC’s future. in my earlier postings, I made it clear that I felt MEC had no chance of adequately serving core users unless the desire to do so was reinforced in the co-op; the costs of doing so were acknowledged and accepted; and that these costs were covered either by increases in margin or by attribution to “cost of goods sold”. in all 3 instances, the situation seems to be quite different than it was 2 years ago, which is very hopeful.

these are necessary steps, but not sufficient in and of themselves. these steps deal with intentions and structures, and it’s absolutely necessary to get those fundamentals right. however, good intentions do not put great products on the shelves, nor do they make people aware of that greatness. most crucially, in my view, MEC still lacks enough design “horsepower” to accomplish the job. those currently on staff are talented, hard-working, dedicated people, but there aren’t enough of them, and sometimes they are not well equipped to handle the tasks that are set in front of them.

(and here let me make it clear once again that I’m not dumping on people’s abilities, I’m commenting about their suitabilities. by analogy, Donovan Bailey was a truly remarkable 100m sprinter, but no one expected him to be winning marathons – and in my view, I reckon too frequently MEC expects its employees to “win” in “races” which are not their strength.)

in fact, MEC has lost 2 experienced designers in the past year, although one hiring has also just taken place. I understand that efforts will continue to find, attract, and hire more designers, and I’m also heartened to learn that MEC’s tradition of “real world” background testing of fabrics and designs before release to market is continuing, and even expanding. as well, it sounds like there are also strong processes in place (some new) to dig out user concerns, needs, opinions, and feedback early in the product specification stage and throughout the design process.

in summary then, I’m better informed this week than I was last, and more optimistic as a result. some important steps which are necessary to giving MEC a chance have been taken. most importantly, the “margin” issue seems finally to have been put to rest, which removes a 20-year impediment to serving more-dedicated users with more-specialized products – I never thought I’d live to see the day!

much remains to be done – design has been mentioned, and the merchandising/informing/educating/explaining side of the co-op remains woefully under-resourced, given the volume and speciality of the products it needs to deal with, for instance – but at least the cost-cutting, lowest-price, mass-market sensibility of 2 years ago reportedly has been abandoned by the board and senior management. there seems to me to now be realistic grounds for hope.

cheers,

don serl

Hey, that is great, Don. Congratulations! I know you are saying that there is still a ways to go, but it sounds like progress - small steps - in the right direction.

Who'd ever thought that cc.com spray might make a difference?!

Thanks for putting your very thoughtful and well grounded views out there, in a public forum. I am sure there was an element of personal risk in doing so - of offending old co-workers, or effecting your current position in the "outdoor industry" - but the risks you took paid off for the wider community, and hopefully hasn't negatively impacted you personally. And you didn't even need to run for the board - you were right on that! (however, I still say - Don for MEC President)

Spray on! (maybe they'll bring back the Genie if we spray hard enough!). And joking aside, in addition to more spray, positive follow up letters to the CEO and the board for being responsive to member concerns, giving them kudos, will help consolidate gains and encourage more of the same in the future.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Armchair gear critics rejoice, MEC has come thru on some gear sore spots for the Fall: *4* new hooded soft shells/hybrids AND a line of technical packs featuring a 30L 400g mini Aladdin for $49!!!!

They look good, sucks I won't be able to evaluate performance for a while since there are about 4 people who would kick my ass if I bought another hoody or pack cry.gif

• 1 month later...

FYI. If we're going to railroad someone into this, we need to crank up the locomotive now.

Board Nominations

Nominations are now being accepted for the 2006 election to MEC's Board of Directors.

Nomination Deadline: Noon Pacific Time, Friday, October 7, 2005.

Nominations Form

Download (.pdf) the 2006 Nominations package

Nominations Criteria

To be eligible to stand for election, you must be 19 years or older, a resident of Canada, and an MEC member for a minimum of three years. You must also have voted in one of the two most recent elections, and made a purchase or rental from the Co-op within the past two years. Applicants are encouraged to see section 13 of MEC's rules for additional eligibility criteria.

Board members are expected to contribute time, experience and effort for the betterment of the Co-op. The amount of time and level of skill required of directors is high. The candidate should expect to contribute 40 or more hours per month of their time for Board responsibilities. Travel expenses are provided by MEC.

For More Information

If you would like to speak to the Board's Co-ordinator about the nominations process, contact:

604.707.3367 (Local)

1.604.707.3367 (Canada and U.S.)

++ 1.604.707.3367 (International)

MEC BOT

Armchair gear critics rejoice, MEC has come thru on some gear sore spots for the Fall: [...] a line of technical packs featuring a 30L 400g mini Aladdin for $49!!!!

I assume you're talking about the Alpinelite 30. I have been looking at it a few times online. There is something weird on the MEC page for the pack. It reads:

Gear Notes: MEC Alpinelite 30 Daypack

Size ...... Back Length ..... Capacity ..... Weight

Standard .. 40.5-50cm ....... 26L .......... 390g

Long ...... 48.5-58cm ....... 30L .......... 400g

Weight: 720.0 grams , Std

So, does it weigh the amazing 400g or less, or does it weigh a more expectable 720 g (given the removable padding, patch, etc.)?

drC

• 2 years later...