Japanese climbers die in Yosemite

Stavrogin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i for one would feel so much better knowing that the Shrub is working hard to defend the freedom of japanese climbers to freeze to death on el cap. where's fox's solid journalism when you need it.

i hope that, in spite of horrors of bad journalism, YOSAR is able to help all those stuck in that crap weather.

RIP.

Seems the locals get a bit more respect around here when they pass.

Yeah but the locals are more likely to have friends and family reading the site for news too. I mean - 50 people die on average in Chamonix every summer in mountaineering accidents and we don't memorialize each and every one of them. But if one of them was from the PNW we probably would.

Dying of hypothermia on a big wall is slow and cruel. Not a good way to go. RIP Japanese climbers bigdrink.gif

I left the valley yesterday (wednesday) afternoon as the helicopter and SAR teams were conducting operations. They were hovering in front of the wall and communicating by bullhorn with parties on the wall. Dave Turner (or a rescuer?) was visible jugging lines to the rim as we were there. Apparently he is fine. Apparently several parties indicated a desire to keep climbing despite more rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future. I did not hear there were fatalities until today, but I must say I am not in the least bit surprised, especially if as reported the Japanese did not have a portaledge. Survival would have been impossible without it for so long. This storm was very intense. It began raining saturday night, poured sunday, abated somewhat on monday, but then all hell totally broke loose on Tuesday and it got much colder. Wednesday morning the temperature dropped about 10 degrees between 9AM and 10AM, snow began falling on the valley floor, and it snowed about 2-3 inches in less than 90 minutes. Although it's not unheard of for winter storms to hit in October, this one was quite strong for being so early and more like something you would see mid winter. There are reports of 4-5 feet of new snow above 6000 feet. 8 hikers still missing down south last I heard.

FYI, those of you asking about Lambone; I met Matt several years ago briefly, although I can't say I remember his face exactly, I am quite sure that I saw him sitting in the Lodge cafeteria yesterday morning. I am also quite sure I didn't see anyone on the NA Wall yesterday.