5 Worst Routes in PNW

Dru

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carderrock is insanely greasy/slippery/polished/crowded, some kind of weird dark compact metamorphic rock something (some kinda schist I would guess?...Dru?). and Great Falls, the area on the other side of the P. river isn't really any better, although the routes seemed longer...by longer I mean more than the 35' boulder problems masquearding as "routes" at Carderrock....so maybe 50'.

That said, Seneca is spectacular. Highly recommended if you find yourself over there. The NRG is a much better area for quantity and variety, but Seneca has a setting that's hard to beat for the east and everything from unforgettable 5.easy adventure routes (e.g. Skyline traverse) to sandbagged eye opening trad lines to hard sport routes. The summit(s) are wild, perched as they are on the ridge of this huge fin of quartzite.

There are few areas as beautiful as Seneca in peak fall colors.

big second on that - seneca's the only thing i miss about the east coast

Carderrock is insanely greasy/slippery/polished/crowded, some kind of weird dark compact metamorphic rock something (some kinda schist I would guess?...Dru?). and Great Falls, the area on the other side of the P. river isn't really any better, although the routes seemed longer...by longer I mean more than the 35' boulder problems masquearding as "routes" at Carderrock....so maybe 50'.

That said, Seneca is spectacular. Highly recommended if you find yourself over there. The NRG is a much better area for quantity and variety, but Seneca has a setting that's hard to beat for the east and everything from unforgettable 5.easy adventure routes (e.g. Skyline traverse) to sandbagged eye opening trad lines to hard sport routes. The summit(s) are wild, perched as they are on the ridge of this huge fin of quartzite.

There are few areas as beautiful as Seneca in peak fall colors.

big second on that - seneca's the only thing i miss about the east coast

Plus there's a pizza place there where you can BYOB and sit on the deck. Good times.

Last summer we went up to Leavenworth and were advised to hit up Givler's Dome. We endured the scree and scrambling for an hour and a half, then came to a portion of the approach that looked a wee bit tricky so we decided to rope up. After finishing that brief section we decided it wasn't really even worth roping up for. Then we discovered that that was the route. I'm sorry, but that route blows. smile.gif

Last summer we went up to Leavenworth and were advised to hit up Givler's Dome. We endured the scree and scrambling for an hour and a half, then came to a portion of the approach that looked a wee bit tricky so we decided to rope up. After finishing that brief section we decided it wasn't really even worth roping up for. Then we discovered that that was the route. I'm sorry, but that route blows. smile.gif

that doesn't sound like Givler's at all.