Hernia?

Sol

I think I may have a hernia but i'm not sure. I feel an uncomfortable feeling behing the family jewels that isn't exactly painful, more like something is in the wrong position creating a feeling of uncomfort. I am a waiter and after working last weekend if felt aggravated. Today after my PE class it also feels aggravated. Is there any way I can figure out on my own if I have a hernia (in between medical insurance right now)? Will physical activity make it worse? thanks ahead for any info.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Frosty-

Having suffered from two hernias myself, i'll try to help if i can.

What I learned is that a hernia is a rip of your abdominal wall muscle tissue, generally caused by over-exertion... not 'lifting with your legs.'

"Uncomfortable feeling behind the jewels?" Yep, definite symptom.

Is there any way you can figure out on your own if you have one? Well, in my case it was easy to diagnose since my tear was large enough some of my innards would slip through it, which I had to shove back into position. I'd encourage you to -not- let this happen to you... by (foreshadowing)...

Will physical activity make it worse? YES; in my first hernia I continued playing basketball & skiing, which seriously aggravated the tear and worsened it; my second one i had diagnosed almost immediately after and had it operated on 2 days later & I got a kevlar patch placed in to help form the basis of the scar tissue, so bullet-proof crotch, which is cool.

Get health insurance soon, and 'accidentally' lift something heavy without your legs shortly thereafter and have to go get yourself checked out -- not worth messing with.

Good luck.

--Cd.

My hernia was a bit above and to the left of the "jewels", and at first I thought it was just a pulled muscle and carried on with my usual activities. After a few weeks it worsened to the point that there was a visible protrusion through the hernia. Went to the doctor, who confirmed it was indeed a hernia, and within a few weeks had it repaired with a patch (wasn't kevlar, but some other exotic material). After about a month of downtime to let everything heal up, I was back out ripping it up on my tele boards.

There's a lot of good info on the web about hernias. If you feel pain near your jewels, I would highly recommend getting it checked out ASAP. Do a Google search for "scrotal hernia" and you'll see why.

I've had two hernia operations, one on each side. There is a simple self test you can do for yourself. Do you remember the old "cough" test? You slide your finger up the inguinal canal (behind one of the jewels you mention) and cough. If you have a tear, you'll feel the intestine press against your finger. If you feel that, see your doctor. Also, if you feel that pressure you mentioned, put pressure there with your hand and see if the discomfort goes away or is lessened. If it does either, see your doctor. They sell a truss in some of the drug stores that puts pressure against the hernia area and that is a short term fix. If you take care of a hernia in the early stages, its a fairly easy fix. If you wait around like I did before getting it fixed, it can cost you a couple days in the hospital and a couple weeks recovery time. Get it diagnosed and treated ASAP. frown.gif