Self Rescue / Partner Rescue

Freeman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to put a plug on the above spin about the Mountaineers:

Pencil Pusher suggested that BoeAlps provides a similar class that is "Unlike the 2-5yr class length of the mounties, this one's about six months long. Also unlike the mounties ICC, most students come into the class with prior leading experience. Ice, rock, snow, aid, self-rescue, and a whole slew of other things taught by some cool and experienced people."

The BoeAlps Intermediate Class schedule is on the web and runs from March 18-Sept 9, every weekend to finish. Mountaineers have in the past had students who finished the Mountaineers Intermediate Climbing Course in one or two years, depending on how committed they were and whether they could climb every weekend. We give them up to five years to complete the course, and offer them an extention if justified. There is a "Rescue Methods" session in the Mountaineers ICC. The "Small Party Self Rescue Seminar" covers the subject more thoroughly, and focuses on two person teams helping themselves.

Let us not confuse acceptance requirements to join the Mountaineers ICC, and the Mountaineers Small Party Self Rescue Seminar.

I joined the Mountaineers as an experienced climber. I did not go through the Basic, or the Intermediate courses, nor did I have to take 2-5 years of classes to become one of the participating instructors for the Small Party Self Rescue Course.

We qualify the Mountaineers who have prior leading experience to participate in this new 2-3 month long Small Party Self Rescue Seminar. This would typically be a graduate of the Intermediate Class for example, or equivalent experience. So, ALL students come into the class with prior leading experience. Typically our leaders and instructors in our Small Party Self Rescue Seminar, Water Ice Course, Aid & Big Wall Seminar, Crag Course are all accomplished and knowledgeable climbers, not to mention their involvement in Seattle Mountain Rescue. We offer this seminar right now, and we just had a rock session tonight.

I do not write about Boeing Alpine Society or Chelan County Mountain Rescue about whom I know nothing, nor am I a member. I only write about those organizations of whom I am a member for the sake of fairness and accuracy.

Best,

Erden Eruc

Mountaineers Climbing Committee Member

[ 09-20-2002, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: erden ]

Hey Erden, that is an informative post as to the Mountaineers. I didn't mean to downplay your organization in my post. Rather, to point out the differences between the Boealps ICC and the Mountaineers ICC. Of the two groups I have met that were out on Mountaineers ICC trips, one group indicated they did not have leading experience prior to the ICC (this was on Beckey Route of Liberty Bell).

The Boealps ICC is held every other weekend, for clarification. The 2-5 year Mtnr ICC estimate was taken from the Mtnr website. To me it seems that the Boealps ICC is a bit more broad in techniques taught and applied during its six month duration.

Out of curiousity, why is summiting so important to the Mountaineers and their ICC? I seem to recall that they don't get credit for their climb unless they summitted.

-David Hamilton

Psst, wanna buy some pencils? They're HOT!