Winter driving to Canmore?

Suz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tailgate anyone on that highway or your windshield will get cracked by flying stones.

....Or, what happened to me when I was following a semi once....I was probably behind it for about 30 minutes, it was kicking up all kinds of snow, then my car died. I pulled over to see if I could get it started again. It wouldn't start so I decided to check under the hood, not that I would be able to much with out any tools or a manual. When I opened the hood and looked in I was shocked to see every little space inside the compartment was packed with snow. Live and learn, I guess.

Hey does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in Canmore with a kitchenette and reasonably priced? Thanks for any help.

The Akai hotel is cheap and has kitchenettes (replete with the ghosts of every meal cooked in them HCL.gif), although a little ghetto. I think it was $60 or $70 CDN a night.

Hey does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in Canmore with a kitchenette and reasonably priced? Thanks for any help.

Next oil change, go with the 5 weight, and a full lube. Check your antifreeze.

Alpine Club of Canada has an awesome clubhouse there, with kitchen and reasonably priced.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/facility/clubhous.html

Also

http://www.gravsports.com/Canmore_Guide.htm

has the lowdown on local eats and treats. Drink at the Drake, or a case of beer at the common area of the clubhouse is a great way to meet people.

* Second the suggestion for a full-size spare tire. I've gotten a number of flats on trips to Banff now, and with the sleepy-town nature of Radium, Jasper, Banff and Lk Louise you are strongly advised to not rely on a "donut" spare tire for too long, cause you may end up driving on it for a fair distance or a number of days. Kamloops and Calgary are the nearest "major services".

*Canadian Tire rocks! Some of the best service I ever got (Kamloops) for a real serious breakdown once.

* DO NOT MISS the hot springs. Radium Hot Springs is ultra-cheap, open at night, and a real welcome luxury on a typically cold trip!

As others say, the drive itself is not a big deal: ten hours or so including a break for Cheese Whoppers, maybe 11 or 12 if moving slowly over one pass or another. I've tried it on every possible route and found the Coquihalla/Trans Canada fastest from Bellingham, all else being the same. As always in wintertime, take the route with the better weather.

Take seriously: low-temp windshield fluid, winter-weight oil, proper engine coolant mix, strong battery. Block heaters are nice, but I've never had one. Don't be unduly paranoid, but if you have reason to suspect other problems, deal with them: this includes obvious stuff like flushing brake lines that might have water in them and replacing useless donut spares. Throw a warm sleeping bag in the back, and carry drinking water and munchies.

Noted: all of the above applies at least equally to winter driving in, say, Montana.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info, especially the stuff about radiator-scraping and snow packing. Think I'll go for it, hoping there's not a crazy cold snap that freezes my Honda. I wonder how many shake-n-stick warmers it takes to thaw an engine block...

Snoboy - will you be around mid-week?

4ord - supposedly there's a hostel in Canmore:

Canmore hostel

Yeah Rampart Creek is cool. $17 a night and you get a sauna.

Actually I haven't even stayed in the Canmore Hostel. But I heard it attracts a certain crowd....drunken Japanese snowboarders, drunken British snowboarders... I'd rather stay at the ACC cabin, cheap motel or make illegal bivi in the woods.

The Hilda Creek hostel is better IMHO. Less crowded, the kitchen is in a separate building from the bunks (so it's quieter), it has a sauna also, and I don't ever remember having a unpleasant experience with the loo. And it's not that far down the road from Rampart.

Oh, and "Gabby" fixed us up with some extra liquor for a special trade... mushsmile.gif

stumbled across this gem last winter season.

David Thompson Resort

first and foremost i would like to note that this place has zero "Foot-Ass" odor that tends to saturate the Rampart Creek Hostel air.

-you get your own room (queen bed or bunk) with a shitter.

-you get to control the thermostat in your own room.

-HOT showers as long as you want.

-Wash machines (bonus for those who use patagucci underwear) and Dryers.

-huge kitchen/dinning/rec room that is equipped with a big screen TV.

-Breakfast, never had it due to alpine starts, but she says she cooks up a mean one.

-the hostess hooks you up... she will even drive into Nordegg and beyond to pick you up food, liquor, dvd/video rentals, postal delivery, car parts, etc....

oh yeah the ice...

nothing but the breast, elliot's left hand, kitty hawk, cline river, and many more DT Hwy classics all within 5 miles from (and even located across the Hwy from) the B&B.

Approx 20 miles away from the Icefield Parkway Goodness starting with Murchison and Oh le tabernac.

Oh what! Low on gas (like every vehicle at Rampart Creek after a coupla days stay).

dont worry the owner of the resort will turn on the resort gas pumps at your request (NOTE: pumps remain closed to the public during the winter season). fill your tank up and stay another week.

If your leavin' the spouse (or dont have one) here's a trick to gettin' the couples rate ($60cdn) versus singles ($45cdn) - tell them your a gay couple! no shit, it worked for the two friends that were with us on our trip.

Note: those of you who need a solution to keeping your wife motivated on wintertime in the Canadian Rockies stay at the DT B&B.

upsidedown trees... vveeerryyy bizarre....

Yeah Spokane, ID, Cranbrook is the way to go. I've done this drive too many times (even when I was a westsider). Hwy 1 is the scenic drive, but I-90 is the easy way. I think the first Tim Horton's is in Cranbrook.

The only car problems I've had are with frozen door locks and (worse) frozen locks on the canopy. The rice burnin' truck with Michelin Arctic Alpines loves winter!