Winter driving to Canmore?

Suz

I'm heading up to Canmore to do an ice climbing course in late January and was wondering if anyone knows what it's like to drive Can Hwy 1 that time of year. Realistic in a normal car?? Has anyone driven there during winter? Same sort of considerations as driving the higher passes here, or would it be foolish to plan on getting there in a day or two given a decent (read: not blizzard) forecast?

Mapquest says it takes about 12 hours in the summer, and various park websites indicate the highway is maintained in the winter. I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone there, and don't know if they'd even be much help. Any first- or second-hand knowledge would be much appreciated!

I'll need to get plane tickets soon if not... cool.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tailgate anyone on that highway or your windshield will get cracked by flying stones.

Take an extra jug of -40 washer fluid. You will need to clean dirty grit off windows regularly while driving; also off your headlights. Bring a squeegee.

Normal cars do fine. Takes 10-11 hrs to Canmore from Vancouver. It might be faster to go from Seattle via Spokane area?

If it starts a real heavy blizzard plan on driving at like 30MPH in a long caravan of cars behind a snoplow.

the corollary to dru's first point is:

If you are being tailgated veer slightly into the centrelane plow debris and spray the tailgater with gravel. If you are lucky you will crack their windshield and they will back off.

the extra jug of washer fluid is no joke though. Don't forget to stop periodically to wipe off your headlights either.

I suspect the Seattle-Spokane route is somewhat at the mercy of less regular plowing than HWY1.

I have made the drive twice in the past two years and made it to Lake Loiuse it in as little as 9 hours in a Golf with TimL at the wheel and taken 16 in my Rodeo in heavy snowstorm that lasted all the way back to Seattle. Two nasty passes to cross over, but the road is usually well maintained. Bring chains, a shovel and some sand and you should be set.

Others are right about the tailgaiting. One of the most vivid memories I have is watching a massive SUV rear-end a snowplow and go flying into the median. Idiot. yelrotflmao.gif

Also- Canadian truckers must have the part of the brain that makes you afraid removed. Those guys haul ass in absolutely miserable condidtions. Let them pass. boxing_smiley.gif

Driving to Canmore is no prob, unless its snowing hard in which case you'll slow down but not stop. There are several good canadian web sites with current driving conditions in Banff, Jasper, and Yoho that you can check just before you leave on your drive.

There are a few things to consider for January, though:

1) the temps are likely to be significantly colder than you or your car are used to. My power steering fluid froze during one drive, and extreme cold can make a car run very cold (the reason why some people block their radiators with a piece of cardboard)

2) make sure your car is in top working condition before you head out. brake problems, clutch problems, old bald tires, anything where you would regret getting broken down in the middle of no where in the extreme cold.

My own experience with TransCanada 1 from Seattle is that its slower to Canmore than it is going the Southern route through WA and ID, if you are pressed for time.

Driving to Canmore is no prob, unless its snowing hard in which case you'll slow down but not stop. There are several good canadian web sites with current driving conditions in Banff, Jasper, and Yoho that you can check just before you leave on your drive.

There are a few things to consider for January, though:

1) the temps are likely to be significantly colder than you or your car are used to. My power steering fluid froze during one drive, and extreme cold can make a car run very cold (the reason why some people block their radiators with a piece of cardboard)

2) make sure your car is in top working condition before you head out. brake problems, clutch problems, old bald tires, anything where you would regret getting broken down in the middle of no where in the extreme cold.

My own experience with TransCanada 1 from Seattle is that its slower to Canmore than it is going the Southern route through WA and ID, if you are pressed for time.

What Alex said. My car froze solid in -40 temps last Janaury- including the foam in the cushions inside the car. while I had plenty of compamny, the mechanic in Lake Louise took pity of us and let us thaw out the car in their single bay second- all for $400. My car hasn't been the same since.

I recall wearing damn near every stich of clothing while driving on th way back, including putting shake and warms inside shoes and belay jackets. Brr.

Road infor for BC can be found here:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/bchighways/roadreports/south.htm

Alberta here: http://www.trans.gov.ab.ca/Roads/RoadConditions.asp

What Alex said in his Point #2: Get everything in top operating order before you head out. This is verrrry important. And if your vehicle's thermostat is acting up on you, it's only a few bucks and a short afternoon to save yourself a world of hurt. My rig was referred to as "The Meat Locker" on a trip where we were scraping the inside of the windshield as we flew down the Icefields Parkway. cantfocus.gif

And what Dru said: get a block heater installed. Don't do like I did (on a different trip up north) and spring a leak on Christmas Eve in Pincher Creek and be out of a rig until the 27th (they have Boxing Day up north, eh). Threw a real damper on the available climbing days, and there was no place to rent a rig up that way.

And my advice is I-90 to Spookaloo, into ID and Cranbrook, then Radium to Banff/Canmore.

It must be bred into us, but I have never really thought of the Hwy1 winter drive as anything extreme, just your normal PITA winter driving.

Bring windshield washer fluid, you will use it. thumbs_up.gif It sux real big to be out of it halfway between towns.

If there is a big storm cycle, it is quite possible that Roger's Pass will close.

Don't be in a hurry. Give yourself lots of time, so you don't feel the need to push it. Stop at the Interpreative centre at Roger's Pass. It's cool.

Budget for the possibility of needing a new windshield... might be time to upgrade your insurance.

If end up going through Spokane, then bring your tele skis and look me up, I'll be in the BC Kootenays, and like to show people around.

I drove through a snow storm last winter just outside of Hope on my way to Canmore. The temp guage started rising so I pulled over. confused.gif The wet and heavy snow compacted onto the front of the radiator then froze into an ice block. In the raging blizzard and I had to clear the ice with an ice tool, taking care not to damage the radiator. Although wet and cold, I was happy not to get stranded.

I agree the best way to Canmore in the winter is up through Sandpoint, Idaho. Roger's Pass the winter can get pretty crazy. Going from Radium to Banff can get pretty exciting too. Along with all the other advice, a full size spare tire would be a good thing as well.

And make sure your car is in good working order. I had to wait in Radium for three days while a $70 dollar part had to be shipped there from Calgary!

Don't tailgate anyone on that highway or your windshield will get cracked by flying stones.

....Or, what happened to me when I was following a semi once....I was probably behind it for about 30 minutes, it was kicking up all kinds of snow, then my car died. I pulled over to see if I could get it started again. It wouldn't start so I decided to check under the hood, not that I would be able to much with out any tools or a manual. When I opened the hood and looked in I was shocked to see every little space inside the compartment was packed with snow. Live and learn, I guess.

Hey does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in Canmore with a kitchenette and reasonably priced? Thanks for any help.

Great advice all, thanks! In summer I've found the I90/sandpoint/cranbrook route is faster and less stressfull than the HW1 to the Banff area. You can't argue much with keeping the wheels strait for at least half the drive on I90!

any other advice for Canmore n00bs?