What level did you start at  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What level did you start at

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How in the world do you define the level you came in at? What you can top rope in the gym?

yes i should have defined this better. there were not many gyms around when i started climbing so i didn't really take that into consideration. i think a better judge would be outdoor leading ability.

And I don't know anyone who started out leading 5.10 off the bat, at least not trad....

now you do.

edited to add: that i would be lucky to send a 5.10 trad route these days

Edited by bDubyaH

As a beginner I didn't have a choice.

My instructor took me to 5.6 North American grade, IV UIAA grade. That was the rule and we push harder latter when we were alone. In school we even had place where to sit in the hut. No mixing with "real" climbers!

That is why many of us came here to North America to look for feedom.:)

Now, we sitting on the couch watching hockey.

Z

Edited by Zoran

how many people CANNOT toprope a 5.8 on the first day climbing? i have never seen a beginner who can't.

I couldn't cause couldn't get over my fear of heights. Took two years, but I did it.

I had a hard time even getting my ass up a 6 when I first started. My first 8, on the N.shore out here took me probly 1 1/2hrs to claw up 80 some feet. I hated rock climbing after that. Vowed to never do it again. Didnt touch it for a little over a year. Ice was best anyway!

My grades increased as I began climbing with people who I had fun with, helped me challenge myself, but never let me get in over my head.

Btw, Ken, THAT ROCKS! rockband.gif

You know its not the fear of heights, its the fear of falling.

My 73yr old neighbor kept insisting he was afraid of heights until one day I saw him literally hanging out his 3rd story window to clean it. The only thing keeping him from hitting the ground were his arms holding onto the side of the house. "Didnt that scare you?", I asked. "No...because I felt safe that I wouldnt lose my grip or strength". So it WASNT about the heights. it was all about falling. As soon as you were ready to trust the gear, your partners, and yourself the fear went away.

Wow, that felt deep!

bigdrink.gif

how many people CANNOT toprope a 5.8 on the first day climbing? i have never seen a beginner who can't.

I couldn't cause couldn't get over my fear of heights. Took two years, but I did it.

I had a hard time even getting my ass up a 6 when I first started. My first 8, on the N.shore out here took me probly 1 1/2hrs to claw up 80 some feet. I hated rock climbing after that. Vowed to never do it again. Didnt touch it for a little over a year. Ice was best anyway!

My grades increased as I began climbing with people who I had fun with, helped me challenge myself, but never let me get in over my head.

Btw, Ken, THAT ROCKS! rockband.gif

You know its not the fear of heights, its the fear of falling.

My 73yr old neighbor kept insisting he was afraid of heights until one day I saw him literally hanging out his 3rd story window to clean it. The only thing keeping him from hitting the ground were his arms holding onto the side of the house. "Didnt that scare you?", I asked. "No...because I felt safe that I wouldnt lose my grip or strength". So it WASNT about the heights. it was all about falling. As soon as you were ready to trust the gear, your partners, and yourself the fear went away.

Wow, that felt deep!

bigdrink.gif

I every once and a while I look back and laugh cause I still can't believe that I would freeze ten feet up and now I sometime feel more comfortable on a cliff than I do on flat ground. It really did change though when I started believing that the gear works the way it suppose to.

depends on the 5.8 of course. not many beginners would have fun on little wing or free for all at beacon but those same beginners could probably tear up the 5.8 face stuff at smith. except for those stupid smith 5.8's that make you feel like you're milking a cat.

Started climbing at Castlewood Canyon State Park, where the hardest climbs were 5.9+, and probably still are. I think the hardest I every pulled there on TR was 5.9+. It was a severely overhanging hand and fingers crack that had me dizzy by the top. Got my ass handed to me on a 5.7 a few months back yelrotflmao.gif. I probably started on the 5.6's.

My wife (my girlfriend at the time) and I were at Kitty Hawk Kites on the Outer Banks off NC. They had a 15' climbing wall.

"3 tries for $5" the sign said.

My girlfriend said "why don't you give it try?"

Those six works have haunted her for eleven years.

mad.gif

I climbed 2 "routes". He put my on one he couldn't complete and I peeled off it pretty quick. He told me i should try climbing outdoors.........and i did.The rest is history (well history no one cares about yellaf.gif)

Jedi