John Stewart on Crossfire...

glacier

John Stewart hands the Crossfire guys their asses:

download link:

http://mediamatters.org/static/video/crossfire-20041015.wmv

excerpts:

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.

The thing that I want to say is, when you have people on for just knee-jerk, reactionary talk...

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.

(LAUGHTER)

BEGALA: Go ahead. Go ahead.

STEWART: I watch your show every day. And it kills me.

CARLSON: I can tell you love it.

STEWART: It's so -- oh, it's so painful to watch.

(LAUGHTER)

STEWART: You know, because we need what you do. This is such a great opportunity you have here to actually get politicians off of their marketing and strategy.

CARLSON: Is this really Jon Stewart? What is this, anyway?

STEWART: Yes, it's someone who watches your show and cannot take it anymore.

(LAUGHTER)

STEWART: I just can't.

and then the best:

CARLSON: I do think you're more fun on your show. Just my opinion.

STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No worries. The quality of journalism has gone so far downhill over the last twenty+ years to the point that all most news is parroting of whatever the Administration said (for example) - it was great to see someone totally call them on the carpet, who is a popular figure, and not just some dry academic or pundit.

"I'm not going to be your monkey."

With this I'd like to recommend America: The Book. . . The Audio Book. I listened to it on the way to Smith and finished it on the way back. It's damn funny. It's an abridged version of their book but talks about the history of democracy, organization of government, election process, etc. It's the best possible thing to listen to on a long drive, so if you have a decent commute it's well worth it. There's a place in Beaverton that rents books on tape and I rented it for $6 and it was well worth it.

Edit: By the way, John Stewart takes plenty of jabs at conservatives and George Bush, so if you're an easily offended rightie, you might not want to bother.

Edited by Camilo

John Stewart is a prick....and not even that funny. I thought his "snipers wanted" advertisement - televised just after the 2000 election, along with a picture of Bush - should have earned the guy a couple days in prison.

The guy reminds me of Bill Maher(sp?). yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif Political humor is funny...when it's not coming from an overtly partisan comedian.

Political humor is funny...when it's not coming from an overtly partisan comedian.

Yep, I used to think Dennis Miller was funny until he became a Monkey for the Republican party. I guess the difference between a conservative and a liberal comedian is that a liberal will make fun of the other party AND themselves, the conservative will try to get laughs by bashing the other side.

Stewart is not only hilarious, he also shows a willingness to skewer both Democrats and Republicans for their evils. Okay, he is more willing to skewer Republicans (but then again, they are more evil). Does anyone doubt that if Kerry wins, he will whale on Kerry with abandon?

The Crossfire excerpt showed how merciless he is to the media. Did anyone see his interview with Koppel during the convention? That was another time that he deflated the pretentiousness of media biggies.

For a guy who acknowledges that he anchors a fake news show, he probably is more insightful, honest, and accurate than anyone else I can think of in the media today. I think he could be said to be the H. L. Mencken of our time.

John Stewart is a prick....and not even that funny. I thought his "snipers wanted" advertisement - televised just after the 2000 election, along with a picture of Bush - should have earned the guy a couple days in prison.

404908-20000810_xnjdo_threat.jpg

Actually, you need to do some fact-checking. It was Craig Kilborn who did that, not Stewart.

moon.gif

Source

404908-20000810_xnjdo_threat.jpg.1255299c2054a054b54d9961aa41b194.jpg

Edited by rbw1966

I don't watch TV, let alone Crossfire, but that was a pretty good skewering of the talking heads, and one they richly deserve regardless of their political stripes. For me, the best part was:

"how old are you?"

"35"

"and you're wearing a bow tie?"

"yes"

"that's just sad"

you really can't argue with that.

I don't watch TV, let alone Crossfire, but that was a pretty good skewering of the talking heads, and one they richly deserve regardless of their political stripes. For me, the best part was:

"how old are you?"

"35"

"and you're wearing a bow tie?"

"yes"

"that's just sad"

you really can't argue with that.

Wasn't there a follow where Stewart says to Carlson something like "I'll give you credit for at least being smart enough to tie it?"