[TR] Mt Baker- Ice climbing on Coleman 10/18

Kiwi

This is my first TR and I have no ice experience, so I really don't know what to say. I went to Mt Baker this weekend to learn how to ice climb with BoeAlps. It was sunny on Saturday, and miserably rainy on Sunday.

Long story short, ice climbing is A LOT more fun than I expected. And a lot easier as well. (Unlike rock, which looks easy but is REALLY hard) I definitely need to ice climb again! The season has just started!

As you can expect, my feet were in absolute pain and fatigue afterwards! :wtc: So much kicking and stomping.

As for the ice, I was told that it was really good ice from our 'expert' instructor. Screws were easy to place and dinner-plating wasn't a problem on sat. Sunday was tough climbing. The rain kept melting the face and I was dinner-plating all over the place. Our top rope anchor also was getting sketchy.

The area:

North

baker-ice09.jpg

South

baker-ice10.jpg

Me. Hero pose. cool.gif

baker-ice01.jpg

baker-ice02.jpg

The group. Saturday was the area shown here. Sunday was up higher where the 2nd guy from the top is.

baker-ice04.jpg

This is my V-anchor. I can't believe it works!

baker-ice03.jpg

Me 'bouldering' 5 ft off the ground. Too scared to go any higher. I slip would be dangerous. I'd probably slide all the way to Canada!

baker-ice05.jpg

Ben and Tom at the top setting up the anchor

baker-ice07.jpg

Cal belaying

baker-ice06.jpg

Cal climbing

baker-ice08.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I once met Kiwi at Pub Club and was super disappointed that there was no detectable New Zealand accent. bigdrink.gif

I can do a very convincing Aussie accent though--or so I was told by some Aussie friends of mine. They had me 'perform' everytime they introduced me to one of their friends. cantfocus.gif

Get a few beers into me, and I'm told I sound Kiwi. bigdrink.gif