Where/what was yer FIRST PUB?

Double_E

OK so in some recent PC thread someone mentioned how such-n-such bar was the first bar they ever patronized... the first hole they ever watered at, you might say. So let's hear about this from others... where was the first one you ever drank at, either legally or illegally?

For me it was The Brickskeller in Washington DC. (their website sucks ass, I know... but the bar itself rocks!!) Basement/keller style bar with several hundred bottled beers from all corners of the globe. If you're a beer drinker and you ever find yerself in DC you must repeat must go check it out.

As it is, DC is (or at least was) heaven for a 17-year-old who likes beer. The city had only recently changed the drinking age from 18 to 21 (mid 1980s) and at any rate, many immigrant shopkeepers in the shadier parts of town didn't have any qualms about selling to teens. thumbs_up.gif So, emboldened by all these successes at buying in the store, I decided to get try to go to a bar... no fake ID, no nothin. Went to the Brickskeller on a quiet Sunday afternoon with two older friends, sat down between them at the bar and ordered a big ol' bottle of stout... mmmmm stout. I'll cry.gif never forget that day or cry.gif that bar.

bigdrink.giffruit.gif

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was all of 17 years old, eating pizza with the late, great Craig Kelly.

He had bought a piece of land in Glacier and needed help clearing the property.

I had a chainsaw, so we spent a summer day falling small alders.

On the way home we stopped and got a pizza.

When he ordered a pitcher of Bud, the only thing I could do was smile and tip my glass to the man, a true hero.

You are missed by many,

requiesca in pace

Edited by lancegranite

1973. Richmond, Virginia-West End: The Hitching Post. Fake i.d.s and foosball.. Fifty cent beer night.

1977. Leavenworth. Peanut night at the Ski Tavern. Beer in a bucket, drink a liter bottle of water before passing out and pissing all night above Bridge Creek CG.

2004. One beer in my house in Taholah, whatever decent's on sale, then brush the boy's teeth, fluoride pills, two books about dinosaurs, and it's off to bed.

One of my first visits to a pub occurred when I was visiting the Bugaboos in 1972 or 73. On this particular trip, it was quite a party up there - the British ex-pat Calgary hardcore had taken over the place and one day the bad boys stole a chicken from the guide service and the cook got all mad so that, when it rained the next day, they figured it was time to bail out and go to town for more beer instead of hanging with her in the hut - plus, they were out of booze so there really wasn't any option. We hiked down to the cars, drove to town, drank all afternoon, and hiked back up that evening to resume the party. I was just a pup at the time, and I'd been to some rock shows and we'd had keggers and stuff but these guys really knew how to raise hell! I'd never seen anything like this!

The next morning, a couple of them went out and climbed Snowpatch Spire before we even got our hungover selves out of the sleeping bag.

The ZOO in June...and my first official cc.commee conversation consisted of Bainbridge Jeff, Alpine K, and Bug laugh.gif After that...I was hooked laugh.gif

Oh...wait...you were talking about PUBS, not Pub Clubs...or Pubes.... yelrotflmao.gif

I'm such a dork. Hmmm....first pub? THE KNARR IN THE U DISTRICT! bigdrink.gif

"Little Richards", Columbus, GA. First leave during Basic Training in the Army. Served the dual function of also being my first strip bar.

First time I was ever in a bar in Portland was circa 10 years old or so at Sams in the Hollywood District.

First bar is Seattle was the Monkey.

First time was some bar in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin courtesy of an 18 year old drinking age, accompanied by gal pal Jane who was an underage regular. Bar had a light up plexi dance floor and some band that played Foghat covers. That four hours was the only time I've ever smoked cigarettes. The day before was my mother's funeral, so I can't say it's the greatest memory of my life.