Best off-trail conditions?

johndavidjr

In early July I solo-hiked minor traverse from upper Lena Lake to Putvin trail in ONP. Obviously snow made it easier on low-angle terrain, (though obscuring way-trails) but crossing a quarter-mile, 30-degree snow pass gave me slight paws. Seems there's NW consensus that snow is preferred. But Steve Roper's guide to off-trail routes in Sierra strongly advises snow season avoidance, for safety. I may do more ambitious solo ONP trip next summer & wonder if its better to wait for more melt-out or go again in early season.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> 30-degree snow pass gave me slight paws.

> Seems there's NW consensus that snow is preferred.

Would love to check out ONP sometime, so can't say for sure what the deal is, but suspect it has more to do with what the underlying surface is like (under the snow). I would much rather crampon up firm snow or scramble on fine Sierra granite blocks than slog up miserable loose scree (volcanic, granitic or otherwise).

I'm going to assume this is not a troll. Early season snow can be very sketchy because it is not consolidated and can slip on the underlying substrate, especially if it is grass or heather. Spring snow is great for travel because it is consolidated and you can kick steps in it on steep slopes. On the other hand, you can encounter very hard snow in the morning and in the shade that can be impossible to kick steps in and furthermore, next to impossible to arrest on should you slip. Sometimes just waiting later in the day for things to warm up can make all the difference.

My best advice is to become competent with an ice axe and then be careful about when and where you choose to travel on snow. If you question about whether you can arrest if you fall, then maybe you shouldn't go that way. If you do, then you better not fall.

Yeah, well, it's not a troll exactly. I'm struck by Roper's recommendation that late-season is best for his "Sierra High Route" vs. conventional NW wisdom that stuff is easier with snow. (Roper also co-author with Steck of "Fifty Classic Climbs.") I don't like scree any more than the next guy. I've got moderate confidence in my axemanship, but I'm certainly no ace snow-climber. I'm thinking of something similar (but different from) the Bailey Range Traverse. The picture in my mind makes me prefer early season, but I wonder if on the ground, I'd be more comfortable in, say, September.

------

I'm going to go with the Lazy Californian theory.

As mountain ranges go the Sierras are extraordinarily user friendly. Easy open terrain, good visibilty on average, no brush. If you head in summer time you can comfortably travel with an extraordinarily light pack - more comfortably with less gear than in most any other mountain range.

I did said traverse from lena lake about a month ago and can deffinately attest to its sketchyness. Stepping in the little pockets and hopping our traction held was a bit unnerving but with crampons would have been very comfortable. I'm guessing when you did it it may have been a bit better for kick steps and at that time of the year I think most of the olympic snow was fairly well consolidated. Much more preferred atleast for me than scree or trying to scramble over the chossy mix of rock and moss you might experience now. However I'm no snow pro me saying it would be more comfortable doesn't mean safer.

Eh, well, it's the same coast. I don't take much stuff.

Summer weather in NW is more stable than it gets credit for, and probably warmer in its Mts, mostly, than Calif. as the alpine in general at least, is much lower (I've never been to Sierras). Conceivably, the scree/taulus is more stable in California....

I'm going to go with the Lazy Californian theory.

As mountain ranges go the Sierras are extraordinarily user friendly. Easy open terrain, good visibilty on average, no brush. If you head in summer time you can comfortably travel with an extraordinarily light pack - more comfortably with less gear than in most any other mountain range.

You hit the nail on the head. The higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada range are remarkably free of brush. Some of the lower elevations have a nightmare of manzanita thickets tough as any slide alder we have here in the NW.