Lovers Leap and nearby forest fire

Thinker

After Tuff Love I headed off to Tahoe for a job interview and a little climbing. Hooked up with 3 Czech guys in the Lovers Leap campground and swung leads on 6 pitches with Ladya on 2 classic moderate routes, East Crack and Haystack. I can't remember when I've had quite as good a day as this in a couple of years.

A forest fire started nearby (10 miles downvalley) on Wednesday and was the talk of the campground that night. We stuck it out as the wind was in our favor. That night we got entirely too drunk on Scotch and some Czech liquor. Met the folks at the next campsite who are fixtures there from the Bay Area...Tad, Dave, and others...good people.

Thurs morn we decided to climb as long as the wind was blowing west, towards the fire. We got in one approach pitch to Corrugation Corner when the valley started to fill with smoke with the changing wind. After about 10 minutes of yelling in Czech to the other team a few hundred yards across the wall we bailed and headed for the campground.

The Czechs headed of to Yosemite, and I reluctanly headed back to Seattle. Here's a link to info about the fire:

http://www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp?id=8288

The Czechs climbed Rainer in late Sept via DC and picked up a solo climber named Julian after his teammates got sick and turned around...was that anyone here?

Drove all night and most of today to get home...dog tired, beer good, GW sucks, and I'm gone.

Peace out,

T

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After Tuff Love I headed off to Tahoe for a job interview and a little climbing. Hooked up with 3 Czech guys in the Lovers Leap campground and swung leads on 6 pitches with Ladya on 2 classic moderate routes, East Crack and Haystack. I can't remember when I've had quite as good a day as this in a couple of years.

A forest fire started nearby (10 miles downvalley) on Wednesday and was the talk of the campground that night. We stuck it out as the wind was in our favor. That night we got entirely too drunk on Scotch and some Czech liquor. Met the folks at the next campsite who are fixtures there from the Bay Area...Tad, Dave, and others...good people.

Thurs morn we decided to climb as long as the wind was blowing west, towards the fire. We got in one approach pitch to Corrugation Corner when the valley started to fill with smoke with the changing wind. After about 10 minutes of yelling in Czech to the other team a few hundred yards across the wall we bailed and headed for the campground.

The Czechs headed of to Yosemite, and I reluctanly headed back to Seattle. Here's a link to info about the fire:

http://www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp?id=8288

The Czechs climbed Rainer in late Sept via DC and picked up a solo climber named Julian after his teammates got sick and turned around...was that anyone here?

Drove all night and most of today to get home...dog tired, beer good, GW sucks, and I'm gone.

Peace out,

T

Welcome back Dave! Thanks for the climb at Smiff....its good to have you home laugh.gif Where are we going next? wave.gif