Digital Music?

daler

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have Sony MiniDisc. The battery life was incredible! Everything else sucked. The software sucked, it absolutely destroyed my computer, in fact it no longer plays any sound. It was just a pain to use with their digital rights managment. It was stolen and some jerk is now stuck with a worthless POS.

I have an iPod and my only complaint is that it isn't cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I like iTunes, it has some hidden qualities that few appreciate. For instance I have 200 gigs of music on a network share, but my main computer is a powerbook. I can import the songs into iTunes and it will automatically reconnect the shares when I come online. It will also put the songs over the network onto the iPod. If I don't happen to be connected to the share and I'm synching my iPod it won't remove the unavailable songs. Most old ripped MP3 don't have correct ID3 tags (the thing that has the title and artist etc.) and iTunes makes it pretty easy to go through these and put correct tags on them.

YO all-

Just a few questions.

- What music library software do you use and why?

- How well does it sync with various types of players?

- Any other beta please!!!!!!

thanks in advance!!!!

dale

Musicmatch Jukebox because its non proprietary and you can find just about any artist on there. Its not a 'license nazi' like others so u can still kazaa if u feel the need or download a song for 0.99. Itunes is proprietary....Sony crashes...Windows Media will report you for unlicensed music...Winamp has threading issues on XP....Real is Shite....

Sorry...this isn't very convincing....but its good software. Its got lots of plugins and drivers so you can use almost any external device. wave.gif

iTunes works great. You can get add ons for it too, so you can compress files using other compression schemes (like LAME which is supposed to be better than most).

If you want versatility and don't require the smallest unit, a CD player with mp3 capability can hold like 11 hours on one CD. They are like 1/2-1/3 the cost of an iPod too. I don't have a single issue with rights protection since I haven't bought out of the online music stores.

I have a palm pilot that plays mp3 files loaded onto a mediacard. It seems to require that I use RealOne networks, which I don't really like. It seems to drain the battery on the palm pretty quick too.

I have iPod envy and will likely make a purchase in the next 6 mos, so I can have all my music with me at once. Anyone out there use the PC version of the iPod? Any complaints/praises?

i have an ipod and use J. River Media Center (http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/). a few things i like about this over itunes are:

-you can create playlists on your desktop machine and 'drop' them on your music player. these playlists are then the same on your music player.

-you can use very simple code to make your own playlists

-it creates 'smartlists' - playlist that are created automatically. these can include favorite songs (based on rating or amount played), recenlty imported music, untagged files, etc.

check it out, it has many features. but, i still use itunes to preview music on the itunes store:)

Anyone out there use the PC version of the iPod? Any complaints/praises?

Other than formatting the blank iPod when you first receive it, there is no difference between a Mac iPod and a Win Doze iPod.

Though a PC-formatted iPod with also work on a Mac, the reverse is not true; you can only sync a Mac-formatted iPod with a Mac (but it's easy to erase the iPod and reformat it, so it's not a big deal--just make sure your music is backed up!).

Apple has a discussion forum dedicated to iPod: http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@176.hbNkaW3Qyr5.0@.efbe810

You can also get some good info here: http://ipodlounge.com/forums/index.php?s=ce5c2fba8cd5961e7839d6b74277d009

iPod +iTunes rockband.gif

a few things i like about this over itunes are:

-you can create playlists on your desktop machine and 'drop' them on your music player. these playlists are then the same on your music player.

-you can use very simple code to make your own playlists

-it creates 'smartlists' - playlist that are created automatically. these can include favorite songs (based on rating or amount played), recenlty imported music, untagged files, etc.

Unless I'm missing something in your descriptions, the latest version of iTunes does all this too...

I only encode in 192k MP3 and listen on my laptop with foobar2k. It has a tiny footprint and allows you to set the buffer size. No real cool features though, except you can minimize into the systray. Otherwise, I use WMP10.

Hey Xternal (or anyone else with an answer). I'd like to shrink the file sizes of my music to get more on my SD card. 99% of the music on my computer is saved from my CD collection and digitized for WMP. Is there a way that is easy (I need something that is not complicated) to convert the files or shrink them down?

Does the ipod use AAA's or does it use a rechargable battery?

How long does it play before it needs new batt's or to be recharged?

Jedi

ipods us a rechargeable battery that has to be replaced by apple (you could probably do it yourself and void the warrenty). I don't have one so I couldn't say how long they last.

do these disc players (like ipod) work okay for running trails? or do you gotta go flash memory?

i'm leaning toward buying a flash player--anybody have recomm's on particular (value! like 256MB) models? so far iRiver and creative MuVo seem like the best options...

thanks in advance bigdrink.gif

Hey Xternal (or anyone else with an answer). I'd like to shrink the file sizes of my music to get more on my SD card. 99% of the music on my computer is saved from my CD collection and digitized for WMP. Is there a way that is easy (I need something that is not complicated) to convert the files or shrink them down?

Chelle,

I've never used this so I can't speak to whether or not it's complicated, but DbPoweramp gets recommended alot for that sort of task.

To rip, manage, and sync, I use WMP10, Exact Audio Copy and Anapod Explorer. It's simpler this way. cantfocus.gif

(If you luv iTunes, then I'm happy for you. It just wasn't for me.)