Bouldering Peeps

willstrickland

Ahoy ya'll,

Greetings from the land of cotton, sweet tea, and BFTs (big fuckin trucks). I'm looking for a little input from you, my cc bretheren, and I know there's plenty of opinion around here, so help me out. Couple of questions:

1. Who do you think have been the primary motivators/players in the NW bouldering scene. Not looking for simply the strongest fingers, but developers, guys and gals putting up stuff since the 70's, the folks out "discovering" new areas,etc.

2. Why that/those person(s)?

Yeah, yeah...I know alot of you couldn't give a rip about the small stone, but I love it all so humour me.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me the dude is Dick Cilley. But possibly that many others that dont rate problems and are way old skoolers could have forged the way previously. I just read books but bet there are others. Bouldering was not hot for names back them it seems. So I assume that anming a few or so is kind of arrogant. But what do I know [laf]

Its an interesting question. I'm not aware of there having been a bouldering "scene" back then, it wasn't really thought of as a discrete discipline but rather as just another thing you did that wasn't terribly significant. You know, just for fun. I'd guess the names could be anyone who was a prominent local climber at the time. If Darryl Cramer checks in to this thread, I'll wager he might have a good sense of the history of it.

Dick Cilly is a good suggestion, he was certainly an early proponent of short and hard. I was wondering the other day where he had gotten to lately, I probably haven't seen him in a decade but if he was around here I'd think his savage sense of humor would fit right in on this board.

I hear Russ Erickson was a really great at bouldering. From what I hear he grew up in the NW and used to boulder exclusivly. He lives in CA now, but when he was here he probably did a lot of stuff that many of the trendy new bouldering types think they were first on.

CrazyJZ knew him fairly well.