Lillooet Ice Festival needs your help

freeclimb9

I got the following email, and decided to share it with you folks in hopes of getting some suggestions from near-locals. Any ideas?

quote:

I am writing to you from the Lillooet Chamber of Commerce. It has fallen to us to organise the ice climbing festival here and we are unsure if we can pull it off for this coming January. We are short an organiser for the event and short of good ice climbing contacts (the guys that were big into it locally are all working out of town due to problems in the economy.

We want to make this a successful and ongoing event, but are needing to get suggestions on where we can get support etc....

yours

Bernard Schulmann

Lillooet Chamber of Commerce

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great Public Relations if someone would step up and take the torch on this.

They way those locals gossip around the breakfast tables in the Reynolds, I'm sure that the word would spread all across town in about 2 days about how nice us Ice climbing Americans were. Rather than making fun of us in our pink north face coats,spandex, earings, and "funky" accents.

We want them to like us up there. it could really pay off -(car break down up by the dam , beta on temps over the phone, deals on rooms, etc.)

I'm no PR man but I'd certainly be willing to pitch-in in some fashion or another to make things work.(Not organizing the event but helping anyone who takes on the job). Just not sure what that might entail at this point.

Any ideas from folks who have been to previous ice-fests up there as to what factors besides good conditions might make the event a success?

I know that the Ouray Ice fest is pretty huge - taking a look at what they've done (besides creating a massive ice park) might be a place to start.

[ 09-11-2002, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: JayB ]

Have you gone to the "big guys" yet. Cascade Crags in Everett, Second Ascent in Ballard, Feathered Friends in Seattle?? They usually have a fair amount of climbers on staff who may be willing to assist. Also-- how about contacting some of the local guiding companies-- Cascade Alpine guides, Alpine Ascents, etc. most guides would be more than happy to help (especially since most of them it's their off season)

quote:

Originally posted by Edgar:

Have you gone to the "big guys" yet. Cascade Crags in Everett, Second Ascent in Ballard, Feathered Friends in Seattle?? They usually have a fair amount of climbers on staff who may be willing to assist. Also-- how about contacting some of the local guiding companies-- Cascade Alpine guides, Alpine Ascents, etc. most guides would be more than happy to help (especially since most of them it's their off season)

dude, I live in Utah. In a cave. As a hermit. (kinda, sorta, not really). I don't know too many folks in the PNW let alone the big guys. The Lilloeet Chamber of Commerce contacted me because of my iceclimb.com website, not because I'm a PNW local. But I'm trying to do what I can to help the Lilloeet Ice Festival continue.

Can you list some contacts (i.e. email addresses) of some "big guys"? I'd be happy to email them on who and what. BTW, the Lilloeet contact guy is Bernard Schulmann (bernard.schulmann@lillonet.ca)

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

I believe I heard some of the Squamish locals are interested...

bitchin. But it wouldn't hurt to operate under the assumption that the Festival still needs an organizer. Bernard wrote that some money is available to support that organizer. No doubt, a Canadian --especially a BC local-- would be preferred. Know anyone? Like, how much effort would it take to buy a few kegs, advertise "Lilloeet Ice Festival featuring Free Beer", then watch the stampede?

A Newfie is driving a car and eating a maynonnaise sandwich when he hears a bad noise coming from the engine. he drives to the local garage and asks if the mechanic can check out his car.

mechanic lifts the hood and pokes around while newfie finishes his sandwich.

mechanic finishes inspection :"Yup, looks like you've blown a seal."

Newfie: "Naw, its just mayonnnaise!"

Lilloeet still needs an organizer. And ideas. The latest from Bernard Schulmann of the Lilloeet Chamer of Commerce:

"The better an idea I have what is needed to make a skookum event, the better I can assess what an organiser woudl have to do and by when. Please feel free to send out my email address and request for ideas and help to anyone you can think of."

Email this guy with ideas for the festival and offers to volunteer: bernard.schulmann@lillonet.ca