jon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

So, who's going to pay 13 bucks for a quarterly magazine and read bunch of articles about climbs that Rock & Ice and Climbing covered months ago?

Silly millionaire. He needs to resurrect Sport Climbing Connection, dammit!

Same people who buy AAJ when R&I & Climbing featured same routes a year ago.

This is from an article in Fortune magazine about rich folks under 40. The founder of Alpinist magazine has 120.4 million to burn and can afford to lose money.

http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=209305

Marc Ewing, 33

Then: Red Hat

Now: Alpinist magazine

Leaving Red Hat, the software maker he co-founded and that made him a paper billionaire by age 30, was literally a breath of fresh air for Ewing. (He retired in 1999 because "I was tired of it. I thought, Why don't I do something closer to what I really like to do?") Since then the married father of two has been focusing on his favorite hobby: rock climbing. Earlier this year Ewing decided to use some of his estimated $120 million (see Easy Come, Easy Go) to start Alpinist, a quarterly magazine whose first issue hits newsstands in November. Alpinist is aimed at both the experienced climber and the novice, a niche Ewing says hasn't been tapped: "It could be both a great business and a great contribution to the climbing community."

I imagine Mr. Ewing was not quoted correctly when the magazine was described as "... aimed at both the experienced climber and the novice, a niche Ewing says hasn't been tapped" since this seems to describe many (all?) of the existing climbing magazines.

I think I'm going to start a magazine. Let's call it Gumbynist. Yeah I like that. It will only be class 4 or below, with articles about cougar attacks, horsecock, freshiez, hiking in your plastics up si, Teddy Ruxpin and snafflehounds. Big Lou will have his own guest fashion column featuring this years selection of sexy blue and red sweaters.