Speeding Tickets in Oregon

SnowByrd

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to get the fine reduced or whatever, but committing perjury isn't an acceptable option - regardless of the example set by our former president.

You were speeding and got caught. Suck it up and take your punishment.

cluck...stfu...55 on deserted desert highway in good weather conditions is completely, totally STUPID!!! the_finger.gif

I'm not agreeing with the speed limit on that stretch of road - I'm just saying don't make up bullshit lies just because you think you deserve special treatment.

boxing_smiley.gif

Fuck Off Cluck. I never said I was gonna lie about it. If I had played the "I'm a dumb girl (batted my eyelashes) and said, Why officah, I was goin 60 maybe you should check yoah speed gun thingy" MAYBE I would have gotten a less expensive ticket. I doubt it. But No. He asked me how fast I was going and I told the truth....I didn't know. His response? "At least you were honest." Lucky I didn't get arrested. Ask Dr_Crash or Coondog. They were right there. Funny thing...Coondog got OUT of a ticket (going 81) not more than an hour before. Must be the red hair or the Mountain Rescue title....or, he's just cuter wink.gif

So anyways Cluck, shut up. I'm not in the mood. Wiser people than you have said that perhaps its worth a try to show up and try and get it reduced or at least write a letter. rolleyes.gif That's money I can use towards climbing gear and lift tickets. Don't tell me you wouldn't consider trying to get it reduced as well. Or, maybe you just LIKE punishment....hmmmmm?

And I don't think I deserve special treatment...I'd just rather pay anything LESS that $411.00....wouldn't you?

I am not gonna buy the line of site shit either rudy... what if someone tries to pass someone in the other lane. DOn't try and tell me during the trip you didn't see other cars. rolleyes.gif

You too Harpell..you're getting on my nerves. STFU! If i had looked at the speedometer I would have slowed down immediately. I have a pristine driving record....no accidents ever in my 27 years of life....and 2 speeding tix total...last one was over 4 years ago. I learned to drive on the fucking Autobahn for Chrissakes. I was going down a hill and was chatting to my car mates....coincidentally, one is Eurpoean. I had my eyes on the road, no cell phone to my ear, and there were no cars around aside from the State Trooper coming over the hill.

Yeah, I made a mistake....I admitted it to the officer. I got caught. He did his job and he was really nice about it. Doesn't mean I can't try and get my fine reduced. I don't lie. I am usually a very safe driver and I don't speed like THAT. Again, ask my car mates!

Did I already say GET a LIFE, Get OFF your Soapbox, and STFU?

madgo_ron.gifmoon.gif

Youch! Easy SnowByrd - I wasn't attacking you personally (OK, maybe I took a little jab boxing_smiley.gif) but mostly I was arguing with the folks encouraging you to make up a story.

Writing a letter asking for leniency is one thing, but IMHO lying to try and get off the hook ain't cool. Either way, I agree that $411 is an enormous ticket and that totally sux.

Youch! Easy SnowByrd - I wasn't attacking you personally (OK, maybe I took a little jab boxing_smiley.gif) but mostly I was arguing with the folks encouraging you to make up a story.

Writing a letter asking for leniency is one thing, but IMHO lying to try and get off the hook ain't cool. Either way, I agree that $411 is an enormous ticket and that totally sux.

Peace, Cluck....I'm just having Post Smith Blues....and that $411 ticket didn't affect my time there but now that I'm home and have to deal with it, it does suck. frown.gif I wish I hadn't been so excited to get there and it hadn't been such a nice day and that cop hadn't been around and I had been paying attention to how fast I was going wink.gif

Sorry for getting mad....I just had to clarify that I wasn't gonna lie. Integrity is important to me wave.gif

I'm still a newbie when it comes to posting as well....my skin is thickening as the days pass though.

Start a thread and then it wanders...I should know that by now. People are more than welcome to their opinions...and I shouldn't be so nihilistic as to take everything personally. wave.gif

Nihlist! blush.gif

Well whatever you do don't just ignore it. I got a huge ticket in OR about 7 years ago and said fuck it, and planned on never driving there again. About 3 years after that my license expired for ID, and I couldn't renew it. About 2 years after that, I got pulled over for wearing my hat backwards, and got a expired license ticket in ID. Litterally the DAY before I left for SE asia for a long time. So that ticket didn't get paid. Moral of the story. I get back, buy a new car, can't get insurance to register it, because my license is all fukered up. Living in WY, I pay all my shit, and have to take a new driving test, in my friends exploder, do a 360 or 2 during the test, fail and get told straight up by the instructor. "you should have paid that ticket in OR"

Just ignore it.

After receiving a ticket close to a grand, I didn’t pay a dime and trashed all notices I received in the mail. No impact on insurance or my Washington driving record. Of course, now I have to drive the speed limit in OR.

As for the court appearance idea, be prepared to appear multiple times.

Tricks that I have heard to beat a ticket:

1. Subpoena the trooper. If you don't do this and he doesn't show up, you are still liable for the ticket. If you do this and he doesn't show up, the judge will either have to reschedule the hearing or dismiss the ticket.

2. Request an expert witness on the calibration of the device. Most times they won't bother paying to bring the techs in, so the case is dismissed.

3. Ask for verification using two different methods of your speed. I don't know about Oregon, but a friend beat a healthy speeding ticket on his motorcycle using this one.

This could all be bullshit. It's just what I have heard from friends.

Just ignore it.

After receiving a ticket close to a grand, I didn’t pay a dime and trashed all notices I received in the mail. No impact on insurance or my Washington driving record. Of course, now I have to drive the speed limit in OR.

As for the court appearance idea, be prepared to appear multiple times.

And the award for dumbest idea of all time goes to!

$400 sucks for a ticket. Yes you can fight it - but they let you off easy without giving you a reckless (85mph in OR) - so don't plan on it being an easy fight. It'd be cheaper to pay it than blow all your vacation on court dates.

I say find a local traffic attorney to handle it. Cost will be maybe $250 and you don't have to go. Yes you may not get out of it and end up paying everything plus the attorney fee, so it's a bet. But the alternative is $411 plus whatever your insurance will raise you (let's say an average of $150/period, i.e. $900 over 3 years), so it's worth it. I know I didn't do it for my first ticket, and should have. I did for a speed trap and got the ticket dismissed (still cost me $350 for the attorney here). 2 tickets in 15 years of driving (never more than 14 mph over though), call me a speeder if you want rolleyes.gif.

Here's an offer for me to drive the whole way next time, dear.

Oh, and you go girl! boxing_smiley.gif the people who call you a would-be liar. She's better than that, guys.

drC

OR cannot suspend a WA license nor is a traffic conviction transferable to the state of WA. All OR can do is issue a bench warrant(no way) or suspend your license in OR. No mo’ going fast in OR, but after five years of road trips through the state and even short term residency, It hasn’t been a problem.

You too Harpell..you're getting on my nerves. STFU!

Oooooh! What are ya gonna do about it speed demon? Run me down? You were lucky you didn't get a reckless driving ticket and/or arrested. Sack up and shut the fuck up. rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't run anyone down....and tell me something I don't already know. You sound like a broken record. If you're going to post, read the thread and stop repeating what everyone else has already stated and what I have already admitted at the beginning.

Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket Harpell? Ran a stop sign? A DUI? Been in a fender bender whether its your fault or not? If you're going to point fingers, prove you're better than me and say something constructive.

One of the things that amuse me (well, it makes me sad, really) is that in America, where everything has to be easy for everybody to feel good, people basically don't get educated to drive, and then speed limits are set very low because they CANNOT drive. It is just ridiculous. I mean, I spent 15 minutes in the queue to get my driving license exam and that was enough to pass the written test. Hello?! The driving test is a joke too. And that is true for both CA and WA, the two places I got a license in.

In Italy, the legal speed limit is 95 mph. I don't think any of the countries around have a highway speed limit less than 130 km/h (about 80 mph?). Germany has no speed limits on the Autobahn. In all of these countries, it's a bitch to get your driving license. Maybe it's worth to put the effort upfront and have less moronic drivers and more normal limits.

drC

Oooooh! What are ya gonna do about it speed demon? Run me down? You were lucky you didn't get a reckless driving ticket and/or arrested. Sack up and shut the fuck up. rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't run anyone down....and tell me something I don't already know. You sound like a broken record. If you're going to post, read the thread and stop repeating what everyone else has already stated and what I have already admitted at the beginning.

Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket Harpell? Ran a stop sign? A DUI? Been in a fender bender whether its your fault or not? If you're going to point fingers, prove you're better than me or STFU. Why bother? You must be bored. yellowsleep.gif

I have never gotten a ticket. Ever. One warning for a seatbelt violation, but that was it. wave.gif

Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket Harpell? Ran a stop sign? A DUI? Been in a fender bender whether its your fault or not? If you're going to point fingers, prove you're better than me or STFU. Why bother? You must be bored. yellowsleep.gif

I have never gotten a ticket. Ever. One warning for a seatbelt violation, but that was it. wave.gif

Post away then buddy! You are obviously the better 'man'.

You guys make me laugh. The obvious answer to the seatbelt violation is to blast you about the irresponsibility of risking to have an accident and putting the financial burden of your next whatever years of life support as a burden on society and all the people paying rising healthcare costs. And then you'll say something about reckless speeders and SnowByrd will find something else, and then blah blah blah and then, ... You know what I mean.

Good thread for spray, bad for the climbing forum. I think she asked for advice, not judgment. Damn human character, we just can't help it wink.gif

Enjoy your days guys; stop fighting over the silly things.

drC