Climber Dies in NC

johnny

On Saturday a 20 year old climber took his last whipper in the Linville Gorge area. According to Winston Salem Journal (RAG!!) he fell while attempting to clip his fifth "pin" after having placed it. The "pin" below him then failed sending him on a long ride.

The paper fails to defing "pin", only saying that they were "placed" which leads one to believe they were nailing. Problem is there are very few if any aid lines where he fell and it would be hard to fall 150 (which is reported) feet if your lower 3 pieces of pro held. The article said they were "experienced" climbers but we all know what that could mean!?

Just thought you guys should know. I'll post actual details when I learn them. In the meantime, send some positive energy this way and be careful out there this autumn OK?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies for the thumbs up icon. There really isn't anything positive about this. I still have the old blue Edilrid helmet that my fathers longtime partner, Walt, died in when he fell on the South side of the Tooth in '76. The styrofoam on one side is completely compressed. Makes you think doesn't it. [Frown][Confused]

There is some info on the SECC website

http://server502.hypermart.net/seclimbers/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d7e1c8cd42bffff;act=ST;f=1;t=362

It sheds some light on this tragedy. Seems it was a moderate trad line called Bumblebee Buttress on the North Carolina Wall in Linville Gorge. He blew the clip on a piece, fell, the piece below blew out and he hit a ledge. The route is "only" 5.8 and he had apparently been climbing for several years.

I've been on this route and it is airy, but quite doable. Peace to all. Be careful out there you guys!!!!!!

If the above link won't work, just search the Southeastern Climbers Coalition website and look at the BB

Just a thought.....You guys seem to have lots to say about horsecock and snafflehound ball licking but little to say about a 20 y/o young man who lost his life while doing what we all profess to love. This guy could havew been any one of you who ties in and runs it out; except you are blessed with a story to tell later. What the F$*&???????

P.S. He wasn't clipping no bolts either.....