Spray painting gear?

suckbm

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for nail polish. And if you get some obnoxious color and paint it over the brand name of your gear, then when/if it wears off you still get it in the etchings as Bug noted. Getting the most obnoxious color gives you better odds you won't find someone with the same choice in colors!

Also, electrical tape can get ugly. When it finally decides to depart from your gear, it leaves a gooey sticky mess. If you're bound and determined to use tape for marking, get some of the thin pinstriping tape they use on cars. The adhesive on that is waaaaaay more aggressive than electrical tape and has a great chance to stay put. I kick myself for putting electrical tape on some of my stuff early on - made a mess than tends to get everywhere.

-kurt

DO NOT USE SPRAY PAINT!!!!!!!

crazy polish bob spray painted all his gear orange, and now every time we go climbing it rubs off on the rock and leaves it orange.

If you want to cover more of your gear than just using nail polish just go get a can of AUTOMOTIVE paint.

It won't come off and you can cover more than with a little bottle or two of nail polish.

How about a colored electric tape? They sell all colors and I bet would last longer. Just a thought.

I have used an ugly off brown electrical tape on all my biners, cams and stoppers for the last 7-8 years and have not had any problems with it coming off. Works for me.

• 5 months later...

Use two colors, I nail polished my stuff orange and within a couple months noticed another fifteen people who had. But I say use the colored electric tape my partners been using it for years and he has yet to have a issues with it. Also you can use it to mark slings, daisychains etc.