Camp Muir- 10/10/2004

kb0rrg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was up there today... Pebble creek area seemed to have the most snow, calf-deep in the morning, but melting fast. Up higher it was powdery, but windblown into (deep) little ridges with mini cornices, with patches of old hard snow every 50ft or so. Looked nasty, but turned out to be much better than it looked, and actually pretty fun (glad I was on a snowboard).

St Helens was spewing steam all day, which was cool...

Edited by To_The_Top

philfort,were you the split boarder that took a look towards the Paradise glacier?

Yesterday was the best turns I've ever made in October (okay, the first I've made in October). The ice patches were fairly easy to spot and if you stuck to the drifts it was 4" TO 10" OF fresh. fruit.gif

5a1a55bb31f82_402156-Muir10-10-04.JPG.399cad1d3309a1e32214a2aa36d28270.JPG

There's no skiable snow between Paradise and Pebble Creek. Above Pebble creek (7200ft) it's fine, since you're on permanent snow for the most part, so no suprises, although there are crevasses only a couple hundred feet away from the main path, on skier's right. Just follow the cow path. bigdrink.gif :

38Field.jpg

Yesterday could hardly have been more beautiful, but the snowfield conditions with the recent heat were the worst this newbie has seen. I should have had crampons. Saw the first crevasses and holes at about 7700'. The sound of running water echoing from below some of them sounded like a freight train. It still seemed to be true that most of these were to the right on the way up. The new snow is pretty much gone. I'd heard that these hazards only happened up around Anvil Rock...

2004_1014_094946AA.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Skied the Muir snowfield on 10/12. There were some icy patches and some rocks to ski around, but the snow softened a bit at lower elevations. Reminded me of New Hampshire, great skiing! We skied all the way to the parking lot. Should be some new snow after the weekend.